Good Day at the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Check out what I got...they were 3 for $18 so I got 9 of them. I will kee you guys updated on how they do!

Attachments

• microras_974.jpg
    microras_974.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 31
  • microras3_496.jpg
    microras3_496.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 21
  • microsras2_555.jpg
    microsras2_555.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 36
Oh sorry, they are the microrasbora sp. galaxy (the little guys that were just discovered a few weeks/months ago)

Do you have to use a sponge filter with them? Are they safe around conventional HOB or Canister intakes? I'm trying to get an idea of how small they are.

-Pleco

hsherman1986 said:
Oh sorry, they are the microrasbora sp. galaxy (the little guys that were just discovered a few weeks/months ago)

More like half a year ago or more.

I do not know what the intake looks like for a canister filter, but they are fine with my HOB. They are not too small. Mine range from 1/4" to 1/2". I do not know if they are full grown or not.

In the first picture, that is a GBR tail on the left side. He was trying to get my attention at the front of the tank. All the galaxies were in the back of the tank (its a 20g high).

I have been trying to get better pictures of them, but they are too quick to get decent ones

Right now, I am keeping them with a pair of GBRs, 6 yoyo loaches, red cherry shrimp, and rhino shrimp with no problems (yet). No one seems to be trying to eat them

edit: bs, I did not realize that. all the information I had found said they had only been discovered a few weeks/months ago.

Wow, thats a great way to get a school of fish in a smaller tank where they still have some room to move around (I have the same size as you).

It would really be neat to have 50-100 in a 55 gallon tank or larger with some larger docile species for perspective (say a big goldfish).

felixcat1iw.gif

Still waiting for them to show up in my area.
I want some.

I saw them at my LFS last time I was there... for 8.99 a piece. I'll wait until they become more plentiful and cheaper I think. But..who knows.

Regardless, they are awesome looking. :)

I was so excited the first time I saw them. I had to wait a few weeks before I could get them. They are doing well so far, the only thing that they have had trouble eating is brine shrimp. Everything else I feed them, they eat with gusto. Last night, they chowed down on some glass worms, and loved them.

Haven't had any of them die yet either, so thats good. They are supposed to be tropical fish though, don't think it would be a good idea to try to throw them in with anything large, I would fear they would be eaten no matter how docile the species.

hsherman1986 said:
I was so excited the first time I saw them. I had to wait a few weeks before I could get them. They are doing well so far, the only thing that they have had trouble eating is brine shrimp. Everything else I feed them, they eat with gusto. Last night, they chowed down on some glass worms, and loved them.

Haven't had any of them die yet either, so thats good. They are supposed to be tropical fish though, don't think it would be a good idea to try to throw them in with anything large, I would fear they would be eaten no matter how docile the species.

Any info on breeding?

i have heard that they are supposed to be easy to breed. I have not seen any signs yet, but I have only had them for a few days. If I get a successful breeding, you guys will be the first to know...

7Enigma said:
It would really be neat to have 50-100 in a 55 gallon tank or larger with some larger docile species for perspective (say a big goldfish).

Goldies are definately docile, but they're also hoovers. Anything small enough to go in the mouth will go in the mouth. :)

SeanMurphy said:
7Enigma said:

Goldies are definately docile, but they're also hoovers. Anything small enough to go in the mouth will go in the mouth. :)

That's why I prefaced that comment with the, "breeding info?". I would assume you could risk the loss of a couple by natural means. And they are small enough that I wouldn't expect to see any 1/2 dead fish swimming around, they would just disappear.

Also, animal behavior is very interesting and herd mentality (as seen with schools of fish) are very good at resisting predators. Groups of prey have been shown to cause a confusion among predators where if there were just a few, the prey would be much more likely to get eaten. It's a pretty cool area of study (animal behavior).

I went to my LFS today as i wanted to add a couple of fish to my little 10g tank. I was pointed in the direction of the Columbian Blue Finned Tetra. They looked kinda dull in the tank but i though "what the hey" and i took 4. I got them home, put them in my tank and they are really pretty!! I was pleasantly surprised.

I'll get some pics up on here as soon as i can. What's the best way of posting pics on here?

nice fish smidge.

7Enigma, I think my concern with putting them with goldfish would be more the fact that these guys are tropical fish, and goldfish are coldwater. Not just the fact that they would get eaten.

Back
Top Bottom