Good Emperor 400 Setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Another Fish Guy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all!

I currently have a 60 gallon freshwater community tank setup with two Emperor 400 filters.

As far as media goes...I am running all four bio-wheels and then I'm using all four of the grey filter trays filled with polyester pillow fill. I have a full tub of Marineland Premium carbon that I haven't used in a while because the last time I used it in the filter trays, I got carbon all over the tank.

What would you guys recommend for filter media? Should I get some kind of filter bag for the carbon? Should I just buy the replacement cartridges?

Thanks for any help guys!

I use Seachem Matrix in my 400 and I use cut to fit filter pad and just use 1/2 of the grey holder to keep it in place . Hope that makes sense .

No , I put the Matrix in the grey holder and close it up and put a piece of pad on 1/2 half of another grey holder and slide it in place with the water going through the grey holder first then the pad . Or you can put it the other way round . Hope that makes more sense .

Last edited:
Ah yes...that clears things up for me. I was thinking today about adding carbon directly into the tray and then sliding the tray into a filter sock or something. I figure this would prevent any carbon from escaping out into the tank. I'd like to use up my carbon supply before buying anything new...though I have read great things about Purigen as well.

Back
Top Bottom