Good Ground Cover Plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all!

I am looking for a plant that is good foreground cover. I have Dwarf hairgrass in one spot at the moment, I never had this before so I am not sure how well it will spread?

I have gravel substrate at the moment, I am really thinking about going to sand but I am not 100% sure on that yet cause it's near impossible to go back to gravel without draining the tank. I may add partial sand to make it easier for my cory's (when I get more) but I think tan sand one white gravel will look weird :lol:

Any suggestions?

:thanks:

Will you be having a (diy) co2-system?

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I honestly wasn't really thinking about doing so. Not sure if I could undertake something that big. The whole thing confuses me more than a sump pump set up I've been trying to do for work (we are trying to set up aquariums for selling fish)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're going to need co2 generally for a carpet. Java moss can be grown into mats but it takes time. With gravel you're not goin to have much luck with a carpet spreading. Sand is much easier in my opinion for plants in general.

Many of us have switched substrates at some point. Drain it and place all equipment in a bucket with fish and water and remove your gravel. Then add your sand and add your water fish and equipment.

Yes co2 is needed for most foreground plants to carpet unfortunately. However saggitaria subulata and staurogyne repens is your best option.
These plants won't probably carpet out of themselves. You'll have to propagate them and replant the cuttings back into the soil. Eventually you'll get that much wanted carpet ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I will see if I can find any of those. I am looking for any store near me that has plants at all let alone healthy ones.
Do you know any trust worthy stores online I could order from? Wouldn't be able to right now, its too cold I am sure :(
Thanks for the info! I will have to figure out a co2 system for my shops planted tanks I think :) I really want to have top of the line(healthy) plants here

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've used aquabid.com before. You can find plants there that you wouldn't usually find at your LFS.
I know you're looking for reliability, and although it's a community of individual sellers, I've found success shopping for plants on there and you can look up seller ratings and reviews.

And if you're buying plants this time of year most sellers will add a hear pack in the packaging to keep the plants alive.

I've got my own question for the more experienced plant carpenters

Woops, sorry about that.. I didn't mean to hit reply.

Anyway, my question is this: I know you guys have said that gravel isn't ideal for allowing a plant to carpet, but does that mean Eco-complete isn't a good option. I know it's meant for plants, but it's individual pebbles do seem very gravel like.

Eco complete will be just fine for a carpet, you may have to use certain tricks to keep the infantile plantlets in place. A wise plant carpenter once suggested using tooth picks for this task, you'll be needing a tiny saw for the job. I (try to) grow dhg in floramax which is Eco ' s bigger (larger granules) brother. Carpet plants require a few key elements.
Good light
Good flow
Great co2
Great nutrients
hit all these points and you should be on your way to a costly obsession that disappoints more often than not;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Woops, sorry about that.. I didn't mean to hit reply.

Anyway, my question is this: I know you guys have said that gravel isn't ideal for allowing a plant to carpet, but does that mean Eco-complete isn't a good option. I know it's meant for plants, but it's individual pebbles do seem very gravel like.

EcoComplete used to come in a fine grain version but that appears to be hard to find nowadays (might be discontinued). That's too bad because EC is a nice substrate in general, however, may be too course for smaller carpet plants. If you are using Starogynes repens or Pogostemon helferi (Downoi) as carpet plants then EC works.
There are other choices for finer substrates but I have no experience with using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom