Good LFS in North/Central Jersey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, nice to see another NJ SW person. Well, there aren't many to be honest.. but the best one i've been to so far, is Allquatics 609-888-3311

When you walk in.. you may be discouraged because the place doesn't have much.. "atmosphere" to it.. but when you get back in to the SW section of the store.. it is AMAZING. They have just about everything you can think of, including tons of great quality live rock. I bought MANY coral, rock, and fish from them and have NEVER had a problem with any of the livestock. It's a great place and definitely worth checking out. However, i will advise you to be cautious and just go right inside the store because well.. the area that it is located in is not the nicest place to be. As a matter of fact, the first day i went to that store, the owner left his cars passenger door open to run inside and get some materials and when he came back his car was stolen. And this happened all within the 2 minutes that i was getting out of my car and walking through the front door when he was coming back out. So.. just be advised. But like i said, after you lock your car doors lol, and then get inside the store, you'll never go to another place haha.

Also, if i may ask, are there any specific SW stores you go to as well? I'm located in central jersey.. so i'm looking for more places.

Thanks, that one may be a bit far for me to be a LFS- I'm in northern Somerset. The only SW LFS I've been to around here other than Petco is in East Hanover on Rt. 10. Can't recall the name, but I was planning to swing by there in the next couple of days to see what he's got.

there's a couple I've only seen their websites online but haven't visited yet:
One in Avenel and one in N. Plainfield. And some place called Red Sand in Dunellen.

Let's see I'm about an hour and 10 from there. We're out in the Easton area fairly frequently, so definitely will keep it in mind for a visit next time. Thx

Yeah see.. you only know of one place near you(besides petco), and so do i.. :/ Not many in new jersey eh?

The only places that I have found are:
Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel, good prices and friendly service the owner is on site most of the time.
Red Sand Aquarium in Dunellen, good prices on corals if he has any. they go fast. fish selection isn't great and some seem to be emaciated.
Underwater world in Roselle, dry goods selection not to big if any. I've gotten some really nice Acans there.
Ocean Gallery 2 in North Plainfield, good selection of fish, corals and other items. Customer service is a hit or miss depending on who helps you.
Pet Shanty in Scotch Plains(right down the road from OC2) never been there so I can't say.
Animals and things in Woodbridge, (up the road from Aquatic Obsessions)very big selection of dry goods, large selection of tanks if your in the market for an upgrade and such. There staff doesn't seem to knowledgeable though. Not much on corals and their fish are a hit or miss.
I might take a ride out to Something Fishy someday to see what they have. Oh BTW, there is another in central NJ, I went to it when I was a teen and had a FW tank. It was called shark Aquarium on RT 22. they have since moved and I don't know if they kept the same name or changed it. maybe someone here can chime in.

Go to njreefers.org for more info on shops in NJ. hope that helps

+1 for Something Fishy. I'll bring you along the next time I go, thought I only go a few times a year. Decnet selection of LR though the prices have gone up in the past year. Subscribe to their email list and you'll get weekly specials emailed to you. So-so dry goods selection (compared to an online store). GREAT advice, great fish and corals too.
Absolutley Fish in Clifton is superb, but takes just as long to get to.
You got the good on Ocean Gallery II in N. Plainfield
Pet Shanty, been there a few times, never bought anything. Store is general pet store, probably better for fw than sw. Never saw clean tanks there.
So who's up for a NJ party at Something Fishy (Something Fishy)
Specials;; LR Rubble @ 1.99#; Bali LR @ 7.99#; Timor LR @ 8.99#
Acans BOGO @ $49; Zebra Hermits 25 @ $1 ea.

+1 for Something Fishy. I'll bring you along the next time I go, thought I only go a few times a year. Decnet selection of LR though the prices have gone up in the past year. Subscribe to their email list and you'll get weekly specials emailed to you. So-so dry goods selection (compared to an online store). GREAT advice, great fish and corals too.

So who's up for a NJ party at Something Fishy (Something Fishy)
Specials;; LR Rubble @ 1.99#; Bali LR @ 7.99#; Timor LR @ 8.99#
Acans BOGO @ $49; Zebra Hermits 25 @ $1 ea.
I was there yesterday. Believe it or not, I took the 1 hr drive just to get some of their homemade Fishy Food and a couple lbs of lr rubble for mounting frags. ;) The new frag tank they just setup is awesome!

Cmor, let me know the next time you take a trip. I'll meet you there. :)

Thanks very much. That's at least more than I was aware of. Totally forgot about Pet Shanty. Hoping to check out Red Sand and OG2 this weekend at least. Have my finger on the trigger for a JBJ 28G HQI package but want to find a decent local source for LR and Corals first.

Yeah i'm about to make the trip just to scope out the place for when i start my 2nd SW tank up. Let me know when you guys plan to go, because i may meet you guys there as well.

Gee Iwa sjust there 2 weeks ago. I just got some some frags from a MrCoral special posted on NJReefers and I have my new LED lights coming next week. So I'm good for a tirp in March.

SonRed, I can meet you and we can drive up together.
Zer0, where in NU are you located?

Sounds like a trip is coming up soon. Did the groudhog see his shadow or do we need to worry about another showstorm messing things up?

Just paid a visit to Absolutely Fish. Kind of far but worth the trip. Really wanted to see what kind of LR they had, but there wasn't a lot, and $10/lb! Lots of great tanks and corals to drool over though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom