Good plants for a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgaaan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have recently set up a new 55 gallon tank and I wanted to add some low light plants. I was just wondering what some people would recommend for my tank. Currently I have an amazon sword and another plant I can't remember the name of. For lighting I have a 48" t12 plant& aquarium bulb and led lighting. I do have ferts if needed, any inexpensive plants would be nice. Please help?

Attachments

• image-2087620916.jpg
    image-2087620916.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2912740193.jpg
    image-2912740193.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 89
Mosses would be great if your looking for a grassy overgrown look. I love that look :D

With that low of light you "might" be able to get java moss growing but that is really low light.

Well if I really had to I'm sure I could always fit another bulb onto my hood. I think that would probably help the plants a little bit more..

More light will definitely help. I just redid one of my 55g tanks and have a 2 bulb T5HO fixture which give me medium light. With your bulbs at least 2 of them will give you a solid low light and Crypts, Bolbitus, Java ferns, Anubia's, Java moss, and probably Jungle Val's will work okay. You do need to put root tabs under any Crypts and Swords, and using a liquid fert such as Flourish Comprehensive weekly or 2x weekly will help. Another thing I suggest would be using a liquid carbon such as Excel daily to help with plant photosynthesis and growth.

Could it be possible to add a smaller t5ho bulb? I mean it would be better than having to add another t12 . And thanks for the tips! What brand of root tabs would you recommend? I do plan on purchasing a few plants in a couple of days.. Maybe 6 or 7 plants.

You can't add a T5HO bulb into your current fixture. You would have to buy a new fixture.

There are a ton of different root tabs and all are good. Personally I use root tabs from AquariumPlants.com but there are everything out there from DIY root tabs to name brands to choose from. All will get the job done and the only real difference IMO is the price.

Sorry, I meant I would another fixture into my hood, so I would have two bulbs. One t12 and one t5 ho.

And thanks, I'll look around for some!

It would be best to just get a 2 bulb T5HO fixture as I'm not sure they even make a 1 bulb fixture.

Not all root tabs are the same, check the ingredients before you decide what to buy. I agree a 2 bulb t5ho fixture is the best route at this point and it's not too expensive if you get a cheap one, check ebay.

There are some nice German made ones on eBay going for like $40 or a 24" so a 36" or whatever a 55 is wouldn't be too much more. Or an odyssea * (sp) fixture would be a good cheap investment as well.

I don't think you'll be able to grow much with a single T12, they aren't very strong and the fixture doesn't look like it has any reflectors in it anyways so that's not helping at all either

After looking for awhile, this seems to be the best deal I could find. It's a dual 48" t5 ho fixture..

Attachments

• image-1773629671.jpg
    image-1773629671.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 68
Topdogsellers on ebay has odyssea fixtures, the 48" fixture is $59.95 with free shipping. I have that fixture you showed a picture of, and the brackets are the cheapest things ever. The parts were always loose and one bracket broke during assembly, so the fixture just sits on the tank now (not the greatest arrangment). The odyssea brackets, while cheap, are much more simple. I have had no issues with the brackets on my 24" odyssea fixture.

Well thanks, now il just have to wait until pay day! Il make sure to look at the one seller. I'd much rather but something that will last over something cheap thats gunna fall apart..

So now that I have been convinced that increasing light is what I have to do next... Now I have to pick out some plants!

Well thanks, now il just have to wait until pay day! Il make sure to look at the one seller. I'd much rather but something that will last over something cheap thats gunna fall apart..

So now that I have been convinced that increasing light is what I have to do next... Now I have to pick out some plants!

Odyssey fixtures arw really good for the price. I have one on my 29g but a 4 bulb T5HO with the cooling fans, 3 on/off switches and super bright led night lights. Was an amazing product. I got it free :]

Back
Top Bottom