Good schoolimg freshwater fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cory cats and fancy guppies are my favorite schooling fish. You have a tank big enough to have a large school of male guppies and help eliminate some of the aggression problems. They're absolutely stunning in a school and you can have a lot of variety in color pattern.

Edit: Do not buy female guppies unless you want fry. They are live bearers. Therefore, they are much more prolific. Also, even with no males, the females are almost always sure to be pregnant unless they have NEVER been exposed to a male, as females store sperm for long period of time so they can repopulate when no males are present. :)

My cory cats and fancy guppies are my favorite schooling fish. You have a tank big enough to have a large school of male guppies and help eliminate some of the aggression problems. They're absolutely stunning in a school and you can have a lot of variety in color pattern.

Edit: Do not buy female guppies unless you want fry. They are live bearers. Therefore, they are much more prolific. Also, even with no males, the females are almost always sure to be pregnant unless they have NEVER been exposed to a male, as females store sperm for long period of time so they can repopulate when no males are present. :)

Thankyou?! I had guppies male/female and they had fry but only 2 batches from the 2 females and both of them right after getting birth there spins bent and their tail went really low and they always hid and died a month later :( and now I only have 1 fry left so many died but it was a fun experience just to much to handle with 35+ fry ?

Thankyouddc4f! I had guppies male/female and they had fry but only 2 batches from the 2 females and both of them right after getting birth there spins bent and their tail went really low and they always hid and died a month later :( and now I only have 1 fry left so many died but it was a fun experience just to much to handle with 35+ fry ddc20

What does ddc4f and ddc20 mean? Lol. I've been trying to figure that one out! But no problem. :) did you have 3 females per 1 male? If not, that may have been your problem. :) the males badger the females if there isn't enough of them to breed with. It usually results in death. Maybe they didn't bother them when they were pregnant, but afterwards they were fair game? Of course, that's just a guess. :) I'm actually starting a 55g community tank soon (already cycling) so I'm really enjoying this thread!

What does ddc4f and ddc20 mean? Lol. I've been trying to figure that one out! But no problem. :) did you have 3 females per 1 male? If not, that may have been your problem. :) the males badger the females if there isn't enough of them to breed with. It usually results in death. Maybe they didn't bother them when they were pregnant, but afterwards they were fair game? Of course, that's just a guess. :) I'm actually starting a 55g community tank soon (already cycling) so I'm really enjoying this thread!

Those are codes for images from emoji, a downloadable keyboard that provides you with symbols

Those are codes for images from emoji, a downloadable keyboard that provides you with symbols

Ahhh. Makes sense. I have emoji on my iphone and they don't show up for some reason. Must have something to do with the software. Thanks. :) now I won't try to turn it into an acronym every time I see it! Lol!

Ahhh. Makes sense. I have emoji on my iphone and they don't show up for some reason. Must have something to do with the software. Thanks. :) now I won't try to turn it into an acronym every time I see it! Lol!

Hahah sorry my i tried to put a fish emoji in on my iPad but the app put it in as a code instead :) I should be going to the LFS today getting new fish and plants and maybe switching to sand. I hope we get sand :p

image-142852718.jpg image-4179158449.jpg image-701714397.jpg image-3824578063.jpg these are th fish that I got serape tetras, tiger barbs, celbrese rainbow, and a parrot fish ( he's hiding couldn't get a picture)

Harlequin rasboras are my favorite! They swim together most of the time although almost always someone is missing. They are beautiful too. The black triangle is really unique.

You got all those today?!?! YIKES!!! You have to be careful when adding so many fish at once.

Ik I'm going to do a water change tommorow I didn't have many fish in the tank I had about 4 ANd its a 55 gallon tank plus the fish I added are all small so I'm hoping all goes well

Well it wouldn't kill the fish most likely, but they could get stressed. The barbs being smallest might help.

Ik I'm going to do a water change tommorow I didn't have many fish in the tank I had about 4 ANd its a 55 gallon tank plus the fish I added are all small so I'm hoping all goes well

That's good. Just remember for the future, it's not the size of the fish that matters, it's how much stress it gets. You could add 15 guppies or 15 angels (an obvious exaggeration), and IMO you could end up with the same situation the next day; 15 happy, healthy fish; or 15 dead fish. I hope all goes well for you and good luck with the tank! Another minor suggestion, don't do a major water change as the siphon may freak them out, and to reduce stress, you may want to leave the lights off for a day or so. Other than that, your setup looks great!

That's good. Just remember for the future, it's not the size of the fish that matters, it's how much stress it gets. You could add 15 guppies or 15 angels (an obvious exaggeration), and IMO you could end up with the same situation the next day; 15 happy, healthy fish; or 15 dead fish. I hope all goes well for you and good luck with the tank! Another minor suggestion, don't do a major water change as the siphon may freak them out, and to reduce stress, you may want to leave the lights off for a day or so. Other than that, your setup looks great!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom