Good Schooling Fish for a 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobluewolverines4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, this is my current stock on my 55 gallon

1x Female Swordtail
1x Male Swordtail
2x Md. Angelfish
1x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
2x Cherry Barbs

Aqadvisor states that I have a 76% stocking level
I have about 200% filtration
All of my parameters are beautiful
It also states that i need about 3-4 more cherry barbs which i will be getting.

My main concern is that I wish to have more schooling fish, but not just the basics. I don't want Neons or Danios, I want something pretty extravagant, but i kind of have a short budget. I learned that the Cherry Barbs will school when i get more of them, but I wanted another species that will school.

Any suggestions?
:thanks:

Hi! Soooooo many options here! The only really restriction is it can't fit in the angels mouth, so bigger than neons. Rumynose are great, and very tight schoolers. Pencil fish are very unified! Black skirts are really cool as well!

Harlequin rasboras are great as well! I don't know much about angels so I don't know whether they'd fit in an angel's mouth or not, but if they don't definitely consider. They are great fish.

A very unique schooling fish is the hatchetfish. They aren't on the cheapest side, but they are quite interesting to look at. I had 3, but one by one they went carpet surfing...Even if there is an inch or two revealed, they can jump out. Very cool fish though, and definitely worth it IMO. The marble hatchets are my favorite and I plan on getting 7-9 (but they can be in a smaller group).

A very unique schooling fish is the hatchetfish. They aren't on the cheapest side, but they are quite interesting to look at. I had 3, but one by one they went carpet surfing...Even if there is an inch or two revealed, they can jump out. Very cool fish though, and definitely worth it IMO. The marble hatchets are my favorite and I plan on getting 7-9 (but they can be in a smaller group).

I like the suggestion and the side story, but the little research I've done on these guys shows that they due tend to go "carpet surfing" and I do not have an enclosed tank. Thank you for the suggestion though! (y)

With having an angel you need to stay away from nippy fish and Angels have ultra tiny mouths and don't eat anything that can fit in it. They can be picked on and nipped at as well as being the one picking and nipping so much depends on the individuals attitude. I've kept angels for over 30 years and have found that large breeding males are the ones who can get really honery. I started out with 14 adults in my 220g a year ago and had to rehome 2 big males that got exceedingly mean. So as for schooling fish, Threadfin Rainbowfish are one of the neatest upper level schooling fish around. I've often seen them sold at PetSmart and many LFS are carrying them now. Other good schoolers that work well with Angels are Rummynose and Cardinal tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, and White Cloud Mountian Minnow. Lemon tetras can also work but you need at least 6 and more is actually better. Black and White Skirt tetras are very likely to nip at the angels fins and feelers even if kept in a group.

I like the suggestion and the side story, but the little research I've done on these guys shows that they due tend to go "carpet surfing" and I do not have an enclosed tank. Thank you for the suggestion though! (y)

No problem. Hope you get an awesome school of fish. :)

A few suggestions: rummynose tetras, checker barbs, 5-banded barbs, dwarf neon rainbowfish

Back
Top Bottom