good substrate for starting a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowaguy27

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am wanting to put live plants in my tank. What is a good substrate to use? I am also wondering if there is anything I can add to the substrate to help plant growth? I have mollies, guppies and swordtails in my tank a y specific plants that will give them a better environment to breed?

You can grow plants in pretty much anything if you were so inclined. Sand or clay-based substrates (like Flourite or Eco Complete) both work very well, and you can add a dirt base if you're feeling adventurous, although that's more of an undertaking.

You can/should add root fertilizers like root tabs or osmocote under your plants, especially strong root feeders like crypts, swords, or sag.

If you only plan in growing stem plants, you can just keep whatever substrate you have, rainbow gravel, sand, anything will work. If you want root feeders or carpet plants you will probably want a special substrate like mentioned above. You can grow a lot of plants without any special substrate though.

OK I have a good idea of what I'm wanting to do. Thanks for the help.

Like said, Eco/Floramax is a good substrate. I've grown pretty much everything in it. Cheap, too.

Back
Top Bottom