Goodbye, old friend...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have long been wanting to convert my 55 FW to a SW tank. Since I'm taking my PE (Professional Engineer) License exam on 4/8, I decided to sell and/or give away all the fish and plants. Then I got an offer from someone to buy my 55, stand, gravel, and light for $75.

So yesterday, I gave away the last of the fish and plants to someone who had to round up money for gas just to come and get them (they have 3 tanks, but can't afford gas or a cell phone. Is it me, or do they need better priorities??) then another guy who actually paid for some plants a few weeks ago came and got the tank.

I realized while we were 'negotiating' that the natural (not painted) gravel in the tank is the same gravel that I bought over 20 years ago when I was in junior high school, and that I still have a plastic/burlap sack with about 20 pounds in it that I never used.

It was bittersweet. I had the tank for about 10 years, I got it for I think $300 and it house several different types of fish over the years. The planted tank I did this time had some massive growth and was fun to play with, but I got busy over the last 6 months and it went by the wayside.

I figure that once I do decide to get started on the SW tank, I'll want a bigger tank anyways. Maybe I'll start again with a 55 from Petco if I can get in on the $1/gallon sale the next time they have it.

All is not lost however. 2 Swordtail fry in my 10 gallon tank escaped the net, so I kept a few plants, mainly some Moneywort and a few Vallisneria from the 10, and from the 55 some Rotala Indica, one near-dead sword plant, and some Dwarf Sag that never took off. I moved the 10g tank and reclaimed part of my desk.

So now I am off to study hard-core for the next 2 months so I can take an 8 hour exam. If I pass and get my PE license (Electrical Engineering) I can sign off on projects and become truly liable for what I do in work in addition to the rest of my life. Yippee!!

I know how you feel - when I went to university I had to get rid of all my animals - I had near on 40 rabbits which I was selectively breeding, quail, partidges, a line of tricoloured domestic mice that i had been working on for close to a year... then i moved from a 16 acre farm to a 100 sq foot dorm room. I was very depressed. But we were allowed to have fish, so I got one of those little containers and put a couple of feeder goldfish in it (I knew nothing about fish back then) Of course, being me, I started to research and obsess over it and gave the goldfish away to my cousin who had a big tank and got a ten gallon for myself... and started breeding platies. Then of course I had to have fry tanks... and that's when I started to loosely interpret the "one small fish bowl" rule at our residence :D

Last semester I had 7 adult bettas and about 40 jarred juviniles in my dorm. I have downsized the bettas to about.. 8 now, and am cycling my ten for a puffer... but already I am measuring my desk and contemplating how much space a twenty gallon would take up! I am taking Animal Health Technology which is an intense 2 year course to become a Vet Tech and i am going steady with 9 courses and four lab lab courses plus kennels to take care of, but I love comming home to my hole and taking care of my fish at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom