Goodbye.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rudy_627 said:
thank you all i think i will stay and thank you for the suggestion about donating to me

you dont have to. thanks anyways

well guys i have homework and im gonna go do that before my parents hollar at me for not getting it done

(still staying :mrgreen: thanks everyone)

You've made a wise decision! Thanks for having the patience to put up with all of us.

Rudy.....do you have a Petsmart or Walmart near you? Talk to your parents and ask them if they would allow you to have a fish tank if it were donated in pieces by people from the website. I understand that we dont have to do this for you, but look at it this way; You just might be helping some of us clear out some of our old stuff that we have laying around taking up space. We help each other out quite a bit here on the website...people trading and giving away excess stuff all the time. Id send you a small tank if it were feasible, but for the shipping cost, Id rather get you a gift card to a store in your area so that you could pick out something new for the same price. I dont think everyone would be able to do it, but if a few people were willing, we might actually be able to get you into a new tank fairly easily along with some freebie parts and equipment that we have laying around. Just a thought... Heck...some of this stuff I'd just as soon give away anyhow. If it cost me a couple of bucks to ship it, it isnt any skin off my back, you know what I mean?

If i wasn't saving for a wedding i would be in as well. Get a tank anyways ... or even get a job (if old enough) ... When i wanted my first computer and internet connection ( a very long time ago ) my parents told me to get a job ... haven't looked back because since then i have earned the cash to get just about everything i wanted or needed (including my new printer. An HP Photosmart 8450 .. sweet little thing!)

Glad to hear you are staying Rudy. Don't worry too much about not getting a tank right away. If your parents considered it once, I am sure they will do so again. Feel better soon Rudy!

Im going to try to be the devils advocate here... sorry :roll:
First and foremost, This sort of thing is exactly what I LOVE about this site. Everyone here is so kind and willing to help.
I think its awsome that everyone is so willing to help with this tank and donate what they can, but I have to say from a parents view point... If my child came to me and said...well, mom... all these people are going to help me out and send me all the stuff I need...
That would kind of freak me out... I would want to know WHO are these people!?! Its just not something that normal strangers do... * we are not normal strangers :wink: *
I also believe in making my children work for something they want.
Rudy, you say you dont mow lawns.... Dont or wont??? If I was a parent, and my child didnt want to save up for it I would say no also...
also... Rudy... when is your birthday? Maybe they are thinking of getting one for your birthday?? I have said no to many things that my children wanted... only because I had it hid in the attic for Christmas. Dont totaly give up on the tank.
If this is something you REALLY want, DO NOT pester your parents about it (as hard as that is) Find a picture of a tank you like, print it out... then start saving all pennys. Post the pic somewhere you will see it every day, and maybe somewhere your parents will see it often (bedroom doors are great) put a post it note at the bottom on how much you have saved up. Each time you get a few more bucks update the amount. When you have about half of what you need for a 10 gal kit... explain to your parents that you have really wanted this for a long time, you have done your research and that you are ready to take the big step. Ask NICELY if they would think about going 50/50 with you. DO NOT expect an answer then. Ask them to think about it and get back to you soon. (4 or 5 days is soon)
Speaking from a parents point of view.... That is REALLY hard not to give in. My kids have approached me this way and it works!!!

you say you dont mow lawns.... Dont or wont???
I thought the same thing. And when I read the thread title "Goodbye..." I thought " Wow, someone must have been diagnosed w/ a terminal disease" or something LOL. Relax, if your responsible and could pay for it, I don't see why your parents would say no. Good luck...I'm gald your not dying LOL.

see this is what i feel bad about i told my mom about you guys donating she said that that is nice but what i said about NOT accepting your money is even better
she said that her and my dad want to buy me that tank i think i am getting it tomorrow

we just kind of had an off day and if i dont get it tomorrow oh well she is going to talk to my dad about it(my birthday is in June just a heads up to you) and me and my dad dont really get along but it will be fine

thank you for all your generous offers

Sounds good to me. I'm glad its an easy deal. As I said before, I only offer help provided this is acceptable with the parents. My mother would have been the same way, i.e. "Who are these people?". If she knew that this was something I really wanted, she would ask me to show her who those people were and get her familiar with what goes on here. However, if it were quite simply that they didnt want to spend the money on something they dont think is worth it, then I would be willing to help out. Heck...I'd make that offer to anyone that had a desire but couldnt do it for a legitimate reason. The last thing I want to do is overstep any parents authority and tell some kid that he can have what he wants dispite his parents wishes. That is not the proper way to go about things and I hope it didnt sound like that was my intention. All in all, Im glad that your parents are still in the game and want to do this for you. Thats great news. As long as they are expressing an interest in helping you, dont get too jumpy and start asking when! :D I want to see you post when you get that new tank! Then we can see about getting you set up right! I think its really cool that you came here before you even got a tank and started doing your research right off the bat. Thats commendable. Kudos to you for that! Good luck!

Sounds like your going to be an aquarist. I hope your parents didnt feel pressured into this. I know from recently becomming a parent that decisions we as parents make are made because we truly feel its in the best interest of our children.

I was going to comment that there is no need to feel like you will never have a tank. After all one day your going to be out on your own and at that time you can get one or two or three like Lori. ;)

TD (Tank Deprivation) - An illness common amongst people who desire an aquarium (reference opposite condition known as MTS - Multiple Tank Syndrome). It was with this in mind that members were and are willing to donate, construct, build tanks for those who really want one. Of course, Melody and Youronlysin are correct in stating that any parent would flip if a ton of complete strangers trying to talk my kid into getting a tank.

Rudy, this will work out in the end, I'm sure of it. Keep plugging! 8)

LOL you guys are funny but i think i MIGHT be getting it today maybe not

the reason why i didnt get it i why i PROBABLY wont get is is cause my US Government teacher called telling my parents that i have a 63%(which is a low D)

so my parents said when thats up is when i get my tank

so hopefully i will get it tonight or tomorrow cause i pulled the grade up to a high C

this is the scoring at my school

100-90% A
89-80% B
79-70% C
69-60% D
59-0% F

also i told my mom that is i had the money i would have 4-8 tanks in my bedroom

and i would have a chair in my bedroom where the arm rests are made out of fish tanks

(saw that on MTV's Cribs with MISSY Elliot)

she really likes her fish

So it was a disiplanry thing? We sure won't step all over your parents toe's. We are glad you are getting your tank soon, keep on those grades, you sound like a smart person so it shouldn't be a problem.

There is a really good deal at my local petsmart, not sure if its at one near you but its a 30 gallon tank with a wooden frame with the entire setup (( heater, filter, lighting )) for only 80 dollars.. i know thats hefty but for the nice stuff it comes with. (( plus the stand is really nice )) it also comes with food. Flakes, freeze dried blood worms, shrimp pellets ect... but i don't know how old it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom