Got a hold of a 10 gallon. Let the build begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was looking to upgrade my 3 gallon tank to a 5.5 but for $10 less I could get a 10 gallon. So WTH right? I got some dry sand, silicone, acrylic, and the tank.

This weekend will be the build of an AIO. This will be a fairly slow build since I'm running into the last 6 weeks of the school year. And I will be transferring everything from the 3 gallon to the 10.

Now let the build begin!

No pictures tonight, but I will be going with a peninsula design AIO. Current USA 2x18watt Nova Extreme. Possibly use my spare Nano cube 28 pump as the return. I'm also building my Nano Cube 28 as well so keeping a budget for this 10 gallon.

Are you using the 18" Nova? If you don't have it already I've read a lot it doesn't fit a standard 10, go with the 24" or the fishneedit.com 24" 2-bulb. IMO the overhang is barely, if at all, noticable.

I was also going to ask if you were doing a peninsula style, but awesome! Got a nice place to put it to view all 3 sides?

I haven't ordered the lights yet. And yes I was looking at the 18". I'm taking part of the end of the tank for the overflow so an 18" fixture will cover the whole display section.

What I mean was it fitting the tank, unless you mean putting one set of legs on the acrylic wall for the back area.

Definitely will light the display though, my concern was fitting the actual tank

I think I will take your advice on the 24". I wasn't thinking about the possibility of the end on the acrylic falling into the overflow area or the stress on the wall could break the silicone seal.

Cool, extra security for only a little extra price! Added not needing to add another light to the fuge area if you decide to make it that

Yeah currently my stock plan is the people eaters, torch, 2 small peppermint shrimp, snails and a hermit from the 3 gallon. And add maybe a birdsnest, monti and clam after I get everything transferred and given time to adjust. For fish I was thinking something interesting like an orchid dottyback, royal gramma, or royal dottyback. Something colorful and can control the bristleworm population. They are getting pretty big for a 3 gallon.

Some updates!

I cut the back wall and turns out I forgot to measure and cut from under the plastic frame. So what the **** and water level will now have to be lower. Turned out alright. I made a hole for the return, of course I cut it too big so I had to fit it with PVC. The silicone I got was BLACK. What the crap! :mad: So I had to deal with it. Now letting the return cure before gluing the baffle in.

Is the acrylic black? I think if done right that'd look awesome. I know some brands only use black silicone on their tanks, some of 'em look pretty cool

Its clear acrylic sadly. I figured if it wasn't labeled then the silicone would be clear. The nozzle and PVC aren't sticking at all with super glue gel or silicone, so I am trying again.

Filled it with water today and looks like it works. With the Exception with the return leaking. For some reason the nozzle and PVC do not want to stick together. So looks like a trip to Lowes for some plumbing.

Question! I used a stock nano cube 28 pump and it seemed like it was not enough flow for the 10 so I put a Rio 1100+. It is rated at around 380 gph. Is this way too much flow? I think it looks just right.

Back
Top Bottom