Got a problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed a few weeks ago very tiny somethings moving around in my tank. I do a 10% water change every 2 weeks. This past week I noticed whatever these things are was getting worse so did a 30ish% water change. I set and watched them the other night and looks like the swimming, moving on there on, not with the current. I come home today to find a dead fish and these thing on it and in it. Now I'm kinda panicking. I attached a picture of the fish.

Also I don't know if it is related but I also have a slight milk colored film on my water, no bubbles. I have did a water test and everything looks good. Help Please!

Attachments

• 2017-08-01 17.48.06.jpg
    2017-08-01 17.48.06.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 2017-08-01 18.19.28.jpg
    2017-08-01 18.19.28.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 108
They're baby godzillas. Call your lfs and ask if they have a pygmy mothra they could lend you..
A few details about the tank would help more than a mothra..

40 gallon tank:
6 GloFish:
6 Neon Tetras
3 Long-Finned Skirt Tetras
2 Otocinclus
4 Red Minor Serpae Tetra
2 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami, Male

Plants:
Java Fern
Amazon Sword
Temple Compacta

They're baby godzillas. Call your lfs and ask if they have a pygmy mothra they could lend you..
A few details about the tank would help more than a mothra..

Omg omg omg. I want one!!!

Now I just need small Asian twins...

They sound like seed shrimp or Ostracods. Harmless. Fish usually eat them.
A 10% WC every 2 weeks is pretty minimal. I'm imagining the nitrates may be elevated despite the presence of plants.

It seems unlikely that they killed your fish. The more likely scenario is that you fish died of something else and then, in death, became a new source of food for the little critters. It's a common thought process. You come home to a half eaten dead fish and your first thought is that it was attacked and killed by another fish. The reality is that the other fish only started picking at the fish AFTER it died.

It seems unlikely that they killed your fish. The more likely scenario is that you fish died of something else and then, in death, became a new source of food for the little critters. It's a common thought process. You come home to a half eaten dead fish and your first thought is that it was attacked and killed by another fish. The reality is that the other fish only started picking at the fish AFTER it died.

I agree with what you are saying.

They sound like seed shrimp or Ostracods. Harmless. Fish usually eat them.
A 10% WC every 2 weeks is pretty minimal. I'm imagining the nitrates may be elevated despite the presence of plants.

After reading quite a few other web pages about Ostracods, if that is what they are, they sound like there are impossible to get rid of. The ones I have are so tiny you can not see any of their features.

I have them in my shrimp tanks and with no predation, they are probably here to stay. The population did reach a staggering peak at one point, but it dropped off after a while. Same could be said about other inverts in those tanks such as limpets, snails, copepods, detritus worms, hydra, and planaria. The only ones I resorted to using chemical control with were the planaria (dog dewormer meds).
I've never seen seed shrimp in my tank that has fish.

As for the film, those are probably oils from your fish food. Eheim makes a small, plug-in surface skimmer that will get rid of that in a jiffy!IMG_5809.jpg

As for the film, those are probably oils from your fish food. Eheim makes a small, plug-in surface skimmer that will get rid of that in a jiffy!View attachment 302175

I think it is that also or could be from the plants i have in there. I have a few i need to trim and maybe remove. I think I have to many. I'm starting to notice an algae buildup on the back glass. All the plants in my tank are live except 1. I only have 2 small algae eaters.

Attachments

• 2017-08-02 18.02.02.jpg
    2017-08-02 18.02.02.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 49
I think it is that also or could be from the plants i have in there. I have a few i need to trim and maybe remove. I think I have to many. I'm starting to notice an algae buildup on the back glass. All the plants in my tank are live except 1. I only have 2 small algae eaters.

I had the exact same problem. I got rid of it by adding more CO2 and light. All the algae magically disappeared. I threw in a bunch of ottos so I wouldn't have to clean up the leftovers.

Attachments

• IMG_5812.jpg
    IMG_5812.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 48
I had the exact same problem. I got rid of it by adding more CO2 and light. All the algae magically disappeared. I threw in a bunch of ottos so I wouldn't have to clean up the leftovers.

Well that wasn't very clear...IMG_5796.jpgIMG_5812.jpg

Back
Top Bottom