Got my 55 gallon tank going with baby cichilds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygulp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok got babies. What I didn't do yet was fit it with sand, plants, new filter, or cichlid caves. I mean there are holy rocks to swim around how ever it needs. I left the bubbler with the moving bridge in it. To my surprise the babies love it. They are fascinated by the bubbles and swimming under the moving bridge. Now I'm not sure about the numbers but I believe I have seven labs and 12 of these really pretty blue and black african kind. They seem to be happy. To grind up their food I'm using a pepper grinder. This seems to work very good. I need some bottom feeders. Any suggestions?

Address the filtration situation before worrying about bottom feeders.

Right now there is a bio wheel filter on the back, which I hate. I'm or ding a Rena canister filter per the advice I got on here.

Is this tanks stictly for babies. Or did you just get them? How large are you going to let the cichlids get before move them to another tank.

Well I just got them. I have no plans on moving them to a larger tank unless its required. I do plan on changing out the substrate getting a canister filter until I can afford a sump, and fitting it out with lots of rocks, caves, driftwood, and plants. As of now they are the only residents. I am looking at a larger tank down the road, maybe. But I have several tank projects to wrap up first.

Certain types of crayfish could work down the road. DO NOT GET ONE NOW! Only when the fish at bigger. They'll eat everything and anything they can get the claws on. Bushy nose plecostomus will also work for now. However idk how it will do when the fish start getting aggressive.

I think I will wait and get some of those catfish or a rainbow shark. I'm hoping they don't become aggressive do to the amount of fish in the tank. We will see. I'm not in a hurry to get more fish until I have the tank set up how I want it. I have a few hundred dollars to go. Lol but I have three tank projects that are requiring over hauls. So buying more fish will have to wait a minute. I did manage to find an abandoned slate quarry. So at least I'm gonna score some good rocks. That is one silver lining to the cloud.

Well as many tanks as I am working on I'm sure the back of my car will be throwing sparks as I drive down the road. Lol I will be hauling for awhile I'm sure. :)

Back
Top Bottom