Got My RO/DI Unit - Coupe questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I finally got my RO/DI unit. I got a 125 GPD off of ebay. So far I am satisfied, however, I need to know where I can pick up some parts.

I have a 38g garbage can that I am using as my container. I want to put a hose spicket on the bottom of the garbage can, so i can put my bucket under, turn the knob and fill my bucket. Make Sense? Has anyone done this? Is this a good idea?

Next, I want to put a float switch to automatically shut it off when the can is full, I have no experience with this, where can I get one, and how does it work?

TIA

I would suggest a ball valve vs a spicket. Same general principle but not as fancy. You can get that at your local home improvment store in the plumbing area. The only issue I see would be having to check for leaks and be careful that as the trashcan deforms due to the water pressure it does not spring a leak.

Again you can find float switches that are of different styles in the home improvment stores in the plumbing area. You can do a simple ball float that closes off the end of a hose or an electroic float swtich that activates a relay that closes a valve cutting off the flow of water into the RO unit.

I have mine set up to a 35 gal barrel, I come out of the RO unit and I have a shut off just before the barrel. From there I have a T splitter one end goes into the barrel float shutoff near the top of the barrel and the other goes to my homemade stand alone shutoff in my sump. It works great, Always keeps my barrel full of fresh RO water and keeps my tank full from evaporation. When I am ready to do a water change I shut off the water from the RO, mix the salt in the barrel and do the change the next day, When done I turn the RO water back on and it all fills back up again. I did it this way because I didn't want to put a whole in the bottom of my barrel and I didn't want to put a whole in my sump tank for a normal float shutoff. Unfortunately the barrel shutoff I couldn't find one anywhere, I got it from the LFS back room. He used them in the store for their barrels Not for sale in the store. He gave it to me for a cash deal. No name on it though.

Back
Top Bottom