Got new sticks. Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went to Pet Supplies Plus and picked some plants up. They look to be cuttings without roots.

uploadfromtaptalk1397351890721.jpg

I planted them in my 29g I am recycling after bleaching away a cyano infestation and resubstrate. Tank currently mudded from my latest visit of the Wet Arm Society. ;) (ask Old Scales about this one!)

uploadfromtaptalk1397352080908.jpg

The new tank with new sand over soil...

The foreground shows the remnants of the swords I had before. I separated them before treating the tank but obviously I lit their world up. I intend to leave them and see if they come back.

uploadfromtaptalk1397353298887.jpg

Those swords from the same batch in gravel on soil. 15g. Plants in back are fake and awaiting replacement by something else (top).

Water is from well and includes iron silt (not filtered).

My questions include:

1) What should I expect to see the plants doing as the tank continues to cycle? Will these "sticks" die back and then come back? Will they just sit until the roots "get good" and then take off? Do the swords look like they are about to take off?

2) With dual 40's overhead and some sunlight, and iron already in the water, how much Leaf Zone will I need? What other ferts are suggested?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397352346210.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397352346210.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 88
Are you ready to get REALLY wet?

lectra,
It's also a lot more interesting if you wear a long sleeve shirt too!
Sounds like you are ready to dive into plants more seriously. With your light, you could make an awesome medium light, medium tech planted tank. One example of a great green background plant for your set up would be Ambulia (Limnophilia sassiliflora). Your red plants in front of a row of it would look awesome. I suggest looking into using Glut for a carbon source (Metricide 14 on Amazon (1 gal), then dry ferts by Green Leaf Aquarium and if not already, get an API Master Test Kit w/ extra phosphate test kit. Attaching links to glut & dry ferts. If you have any further questions, just ask. OS.
Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums
Amazon.com: Metrex Metricide Gallon 14 Day - Model 182337 - Each: Health & Personal Care
Amazon.com : API Freshwater Master Test Kit : Aquarium Test Kits : Pet Supplies

You really need to check to see how much iron is in the water your using before adding any other iron into the tank.

What your calling sticks are actually stems...lol. Also remember when planting stems is that they look best when planted in a group. Plant each stem individually with the leaves of each stem almost touching the leaves of the same type stems around it.

I didn't realize iron could be toxic until you mentioned I need to check it. Haven't seen a kit yet for iron or phosphate. I have the API master test kit though.

I found with leaf zone that if I dosed too much a fine needle-like plant I had used to brown off on the leaf edges. It wasn't foxtail but something similar.

None of the iron test kits are very good but I have the Seachem Iron one that I use sometimes. Have you ever had your well water levels tested? You don't really want your iron levels higher the .5 but if memory serves me if they are over 1 they can be toxic to plants and livestock.

Looking at the "control" tank (with the fake plants), does it look like my swords may have too much iron?

They look like Alternanthera reineckii to me. They won't die back. They'll gradually grow roots in your substrate. And once it settles in, you'll notice new leaves. Mine aren't super fast growers. When it reaches the surface, you can take some scissors and cut it half way down. The bottom half will keep growing. You can take the top half & remove a few leaves and stick it into your substrate at a 45 degree angle (so it's not as likely to come loose & float). It'll grow roots and become its own plant.

Back
Top Bottom