Got some liquid fert for cheap!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I'd cut back on lighting. The E.I. dosing method ensures that there is always macro/micros available, so the limiting factor is likely co2. If you aren't running pressurized Co2 you are very limited on the amount of light that you can put in the tank without having algae problems.

What's the photoperiod now? I"d cut it back to 6-8 hours to start and drop down to 1 bulb for a good starting point. It's possible to E.I. dose while only using Excel but the amounts recommended are definitely lower than they would be if you ran pressurized co2 at 20ppm.

I'd just cut back on lighting to use it as a starting point, since it's easy enough to turn an extra bulb on or add a bit to the photoperiod if you think that it'd be beneficial.

Getting co2 set up will make things much easier to balance out (and pretty much a requirement) if you plan to run higher light intensity.

This is a good read if you have the time Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants

Sorry...whats EI dosing?

It was like 10 hours and never had a problem till i added the latest ferts. Was just using comp before i added the rest.

The fert thing is kind of difficult to guesstimate since it's hard to say how much the tank is using. The E.I. method assumes that you have a steady amount of pressurized Co2 (most go 20-30ppm) and a heavily planted setup.

Cutting back on the ferts is a good idea until you can achieve a balance. You can watch the plants and look for any deficiencies to see if you are lacking in anything. As stated above, if you aren't reading 0 on nitrate then there's no sense in adding nitrogen.

With my tanks, I cut back the lighting to where the lack of pressurized co2 no longer became the limiting factor. That means that I can dose to my heart's content and not get an algae blowout.

Co2, Fertilization, Algae and more updated 10/10

Ok, i'll give that a whirl, I'll go back to what I was doing, and save the liquids for down the road when I go pressurized CO2. I guess it's better to start out slow then try and tackle 5 different types of dosing. Some of those links you sent me are a little confusing especially with all the element names...lol. Feel like i need to be a scientist to read it.

Back
Top Bottom