Gourami agressive against my red tail shark???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a flame gourami and a red tail shark in my QT tank, for about a week and a half already. I notice that at feeding time my gourami is agressive and chases my red tail. Is this normal? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404859064.840400.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404859099.224129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There isn't much you can do. Unless you want to trade the gourami for a less aggressive one. The aggression won't be as bad once you get them into your main tank as they will have more room to stake territories.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long have they loved together? Does the aggression end after feeding is over?

I found that with my pearls and blue gourami, golden ram, bn pleco, black skirt tetras all show aggression during feeding.

They eventually build a hierarchy within the community of who is in charge and so on. During feeding you will see them.contest each other and push each other away from.food. this seems to happen with food that sits on the bottom, algae wafers and fresh veggies, fallen pellets ect. The ram and blue gourami are the ones who control the bottom during this time but can be taken off by a pearl. The bn pleco will push off corydoras if she wants it.

The thing to take away from my rambling is that all of the behavior I am describing is normal in a community tank. None of which is causing physical damage to the fish. I do see the odd bruise on one of the fish now and then but it normally gone in a few days.

If you gourami is doing a fair bit of damage or is constantly harassing then you need to take further action.

In my tank, outside of feeding everything is perfect harmony.

Adding more gouramis would take the attention of the shark for sure. They will focus on each other and tend to ignore other fish once there are a few of them. This is why it is recommended that with gouramis to keep 1 male with 3 females. For me this has been the perfect mix.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom