Gourami air leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today my female dwarf gourami has started leaking air from her gills. She just sits at the top of the tank and seemingly tries to breathe air but bubbles just keep comming out through her gills. m It also seems like the right gill is sticking out more than it should be,

Not sure of my parqams atm, but checked them in the last week and they were all in the correct range. Has anyone else ever come accross this? Are there any medications I should try?

you need to get those water perameters tested. Your LFS should do it for free. All I can say for now is try to keep the water as clean as possible. Also turn out the lights to make her feel safe.

Don't have a workable camera unfortunately =-/

She does seem to be eating, just not doing so well when it comes to breathing.

do you have an air stone in the tank? anything to help her out a bit?

I tried to look it up and do some research but found nothing!

Gouramis are labyrinth fish and can breath atmospheric oxygen. Actually, most fish can breath regular air, they just have to deal with their gills drying out, whereas gouramis and bettas have a special modification that allows them to breath it for extended times as an adaptation to their natural enviroment of mud puddles. If it spends a lot of time at the top and breaths heavily it may be that you need more aeration, or she could have a gill infection/infestation. What color are the gills?

Gills appear to be a normal color, just seems like she's hewavily breathing and bubbles come out of the gills when she sucks in air =-/

Shes trying to get air from the surface, but I think most of the air comes out of her gills instead of going into her labyrinth organ.

my betta sometimes tried to eat some food and some bubbles came out of the gills, or when it was flaring and it breathed, some bubbles came out 2

ok i just got home from work and my male powder blue dwarf is doing the exacr same thing.. he breaths air from the surface and i can see the aire bubbles coming out of his gills.. all my water parameters are fine with nitrate levels at a min trace.. he has been fine and all of the sudden this.. right now he is laying on my 12 air stone trying real hard to breath.. any ideas??

Back
Top Bottom