Gourami for GouramiLover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all! As my username suggests I love gouramis and while I have taken many detours I am finally back to having a gourami tank.

The tank I have is an established 10 gallon shrimp tank that use to house a thriving dwarf panda guppy population. Now that they are gone the tank feels empty and I am ready for a new inhabitant.

I have never kept gouramis in such a small tank so I am hoping that anyone who has would give suggestions for what species does best in a 10 gallon and looks best as well :)

I am open to other anabantoids as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just as a side note, I am not too concerned about the shrimp being munched on.

Also I have kept t. Lalius, t. Chuna, pearl gouramis (obviously this tank is way too small for those), blue and gold gourami (also too big), and bettas.

I was thinking a honey gourami for this tank because I love their color and their peaceful temperament, but like I said earlier I would love to hear some suggestions.

I have had 2 HG's in my 55 gallon for 2 years. They are awsome! They even get along with my Keyhole Cichlid.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 3 sparkling gouramis in my 16g community, very pretty fish!

Quite active, all over the tank actually. Would you have any other fish in the tank?

I am thinking just the gouramis with the shrimp. Do you house yours with other fish?

I have thought about getting sparkling gouramis in the past, but have not because I had bigger tanks and was afraid they would 'get lost' amongst the other fish. Now that I have a small tank available I think its a good time to have these guys :dance:

I am thinking just the gouramis with the shrimp. Do you house yours with other fish?

I have thought about getting sparkling gouramis in the past, but have not because I had bigger tanks and was afraid they would 'get lost' amongst the other fish. Now that I have a small tank available I think its a good time to have these guys :dance:

Mine are in a community with CPDs, dwarf rainbows, and a trio of cherry barbs.
If it's an option you could get a small school of microrasboras.

I was told sparkling gouramis would be safe with shrimp. Gave one a test run and it turned out to be a shrimp murderer, even in a well planted tank. Probably a case of individual fish personality though since I have a betta who won't bother shrimp at all.

According to aqadvisor a group of 5 is about 90% stocked. Aqadvisor tends to be on the conservative side, but still I think a group of five would be the max I would feel comfortable putting in a 10 gallon. what do you all think?

Mine are in a community with CPDs, dwarf rainbows, and a trio of cherry barbs.
If it's an option you could get a small school of microrasboras.

I was told sparkling gouramis would be safe with shrimp. Gave one a test run and it turned out to be a shrimp murderer, even in a well planted tank. Probably a case of individual fish personality though since I have a betta who won't bother shrimp at all.

I have some blue star endlers I could put an all male trio in with a trio of sparkling gouramis. That would work I think. The tank is heavily planted with lots of nooks and crannies for the shrimp. Plus I intend to use some clear inch wide tubes to create a safe spot for shrimp. I will drill shrimp sized holes all over the tubes and place them vertically in the back corners of the tank. I am working on that today so I can see if the shrimp will actually go in them.

I got my trio from Bob's Tropical Plants:

img_3189509_0_d25f2ea2ad11ed4b5a1b92c627ff1712.jpg

Cholla wood is a nice, natural hidey place for shrimp and fry. Can be put in the tank as is (after soaking :rolleyes:) or moss can be attached.

I got my trio from Bob's Tropical Plants:

img_3190867_0_d25f2ea2ad11ed4b5a1b92c627ff1712.jpg

Cholla wood is a nice, natural hidey place for shrimp and fry. Can be put in the tank as is (after soaking :rolleyes:) or moss can be attached.

Love those colors!

Well I went ahead and added the plastic tubes. You can hardly see them which is what u was aiming for.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427237074.673670.jpg

I am going to be keeping an eye out for hopefully local fish store to carry sparkling gouramis. I will also be keeping an eye out on aquabid too.

In the mean time my shrimp can enjoy the tank for themselves. I didn't realize my guppies were actually eating them until their numbers skyrocketed this last week since the guppies have been gone!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427237231.671491.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427237255.021486.jpg

I hope the gouramis like my loose stem plants as much as the shrimp do :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427237278.391578.jpg

The tank looks good!

Alpha Pro Breeders has them in stock. I've ordered from them in the past I don't recall their shipping rates to be crazy high Pygmy sparkling gourami qty 2 - Alpha Pro Breeders

I checked and apparently they only have 2 in stock. I don't really want to pay 15$ in shipping for 5$ of fish :( I will contact them to see about more though. Their shipping is the best price I have seen so far and I have bought shrimp from them before.

Thanks for the tip!

I checked and apparently they only have 2 in stock. I don't really want to pay 15$ in shipping for 5$ of fish :( I will contact them to see about more though. Their shipping is the best price I have seen so far and I have bought shrimp from them before.

Thanks for the tip!

He's nice to work with, keep us posted.

I don't know what caused it but mine were making the clicking noises last night. One of my crazy dogs noticed it first :rolleyes:

He's nice to work with, keep us posted.

I don't know what caused it but mine were making the clicking noises last night. One of my crazy dogs noticed it first :rolleyes:

Nice! I have read sparkling gouramis are closely related to croaking gouramis. But all gouramis I have had make the clicking noise too. It might be accidental as they 'breath' near the surface :) always funny to see the furry pets hear it first

What about dwarf gouramis? I am hoping to get two for my 15 gallon :)

Kione

Definitely pretty fish! I tend to go for less commonly seen fish...when I did my Asian biotope I got a Betta coccina instead of a Betta splendens. That's just my craziness though :whistle:

Kione

Be careful. They are very territorial and will probably fight eventually. I don't recommend two in that size tank.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Back
Top Bottom