Gourami gender issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkmaune

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My husband and I bought two Three Spotted Gouramis a couple months ago, they were both the same size.
One of the Gouramis [that we think is a male] has gotten about two times to size of the other one.
We've noticed that they started chasing each other around and getting "flirty" with each other.
The smaller one hides a lot but comes out to get flirty with the bigger Gourami. That one also has weird fins that aren't "flowy" like the larger one.
About once a month the smaller one gets really really dark stripes for about a week.
[She also always comes out of hiding for feeding]

Do we have a Male and Female?
Or is the larger one dominating the other one and scaring it into hiding??

Also a couple tank changes ago, we had researched what a Gourami nest looks like, and it's a bubble nest [usually on the surface of the water]. We had something that looked like that while the Gouramis were getting flirty and we haven't seen something like that since....Did we accidentally possibly kill a nest? Or is it unlikely that that was a nest?

Sorry so many questions we are sorta new at this, at least with the Gouramis.

Oh they have a couple tank mates...I'm not sure if that would change their behavior.

-(1)Baby plecostomus
-(1)African dwarf frog
-(2)Baby Tin Foil Barbs

thanks for any help :)

Below are a couple pictures of the "male". I'll post pictures of the smaller one when I can get a picture.

Attachments

• 2011-06-11 18.25.03.jpg
    2011-06-11 18.25.03.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 2011-06-11 18.24.48.jpg
    2011-06-11 18.24.48.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 2011-06-11 18.24.41.jpg
    2011-06-11 18.24.41.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 78
You certainly have a male/female, the males have a longer pointed dorsal fin where the female is shorted and rounded. It's sounds like the male is pestering the female, the stripes our seeing on her is stress related. Usually it's better to have two females per male to reduce the pressure from the male. Males will build the bubble nest but that doesn't mean she will cooperate and lay eggs.

Gourami Breeding

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was a bubble nest then.
So I should probably get another female then?

How ironic, we got them at Walmart one day just for the **** of it and we got a male and female! Sheesh.

Well thanks I'll be sure to get another female.

One more question which fin is the dorsal fin? I've read about that but I'm not quite sure which fin it is??

Oh yeah! Duh.
Well I read that link you posted.
I definitely didn't plan on having a male/female so I'll have to go find another female.
I mean mine as well try breeding if I have the pair already :)
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom