gourami possible problem ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoVic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ever Since we bought some Dalmatians Molly's one of the Gouramis seems to be acting aggressive? it looks to be chasing the Mollys around the tank. I'm not sure whether if the Gourami is just being friendly / playing but if i was the Molly i wouldn't be too pleased being chased like that! is this normal for a Gourami to act like this to new fish ??

I doubt it's being friendly :) The Gourami is seeing the Mollys as invading its territory. You could try removing the Gourami for a few days or so to give the Mollys time to establish some territory, or putting it into a breeder box for a time-out, then when you put him back he'll be the new one so it might change things around. You could also try to re-arrange some decorations, that can throw off terrritories. Then watch them; as long as the molly isn't being hurt or isn't acting visibly stressed just watch and see if it subsides after a while. If the fish is being injured though, the Gourami may need to be rehomed.

Ever Since we bought some Dalmatians Molly's one of the Gouramis seems to be acting aggressive? it looks to be chasing the Mollys around the tank. I'm not sure whether if the Gourami is just being friendly / playing but if i was the Molly i wouldn't be too pleased being chased like that! is this normal for a Gourami to act like this to new fish ??

You've been given a great answer already, I'm just wondering about the type of gourami?

I have 4 Sailfin Mollies and two Golden Gouramis and I have no problems, if you have the space then I would add another gourami that is a similar size providing the gourami hasn't been in it's habitat too long. I find they ignore everything else that way.

What size is your tank and current bio load?

I have 4 Sailfin Mollies and two Golden Gouramis and I have no problems, if you have the space then I would add another gourami that is a similar size providing the gourami hasn't been in it's habitat too long. I find they ignore everything else that way.

What size is your tank and current bio load?

Hiya Eagle-133,
i have a 200lt - 3foot tank, at present i have 4X Gouramis ( two gold + two silver with black spots .... then i have two Mollys and two angel fish, only one of the golden gourami seems to have the ego problem? but then he only goes after the Mollys. I'm really not sure whether the gourami is just being playful
!! :confused:

RoVic said:
Hiya Eagle-133,
i have a 200lt - 3foot tank, at present i have 4X Gouramis ( two gold + two silver with black spots .... then i have two Mollys and two angel fish, only one of the golden gourami seems to have the ego problem? but then he only goes after the Mollys. I'm really not sure whether the gourami is just being playful
!! :confused:

Gouramis are notoriously aggressive, they certainly are not being 'playful'. That said, if it's not causing too much stress or no damage is being done then I don't see any problem. Your Gourami sounds like it is just being territorial which happens with most Gouramis. Does it just chase for a couple of seconds then stop? How often is it happening? Any damage caused to the mollies?

Why don't the words Gourami and problems in the same sentence surprise me? Gold gourami, aside from being territorial, tend to have a nasty attitude to begin with, I had one that relentlessly chased its blue gourami companion. Eventually, it had to go. As was mentioned you could rearrange the decor... See if it re-establishes new territories, but be ready to rehome it.

Why don't the words Gourami and problems in the same sentence surprise me? Gold gourami, aside from being territorial, tend to have a nasty attitude to begin with, I had one that relentlessly chased its blue gourami companion. Eventually, it had to go. As was mentioned you could rearrange the decor... See if it re-establishes new territories, but be ready to rehome it.

Had no Choice whether right or wrong I'm not sure, i thought the Golden Gourami had seen sense and stated behaving its self! I added some new fish to the tank and straight away the gourami was once again on the offensive side. This time i had to fight back in defense for the newbies! i had to make a make shift isolation tank to put the Gourami in, It's not nice but had to be done. now the **** fish is looking sad and totally fed up !!! :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom