Gourami sickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitch_Wilson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted about white spots on my dwarf gourami a while back. In the following weeks, the spots didn't change or spread or affect any other fish in the tank so i left him be, especially after i went to my lfs and they had gouramis with similar spots. Fast forward to about a week ago and he started having swim bladder issues so i transported him to a 2.5 gallon quarantine tank.

He unfortunentally hasn't gotten any better despite epsom salt baths and parasite treatment. Now i came home today and he was still sitting on the bottom, just as he has for about a week, and i seen a strange string coming from just behind his whiskers and in front of his pelvic fin (bottom one, i think i got the name right)

I got a few pictures that show the bumps as well as the string a little bit since he really isn't moving much wasn't that hard.

I am wondering if there is anything that might save him or if it is better just to euthananise him with clove oil/ alcohol.

Attachments

• Gourami 1.jpg
    Gourami 1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 64
  • gourami 2.jpg
    gourami 2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 57
Poor guy! Is the string what I am looking at in the first pic that appears to be waving near his eye? Or is that a piece of debris? Is he eating at all?

You are honestly doing the best you can for him with epsom salt bathes and parasite meds. Unfortunately, if he doesnt start to improve or continues to go downhill, I personally would consider euthanasia. This will be for you to decide. I wish I could provide more positive prognosis here. :(

yea that was the string unfortunately i had come to check on him and i thought he was dead but he he had just dug himself further into the gravel, significantly scratching his down side and had very labored and rapid breathing. He had not improved in over a week and had steadily gone downhill so i decided to use a clove oil OD to euthanize him.

And no he physically could not swim to get the food at all

Back
Top Bottom