Gourami special needs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verucaproduce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. Just bought my first gourami ever and I was wondering if they have any special needs, diet...hiding places...etc.

So far he seems very active and social. Either that or he may be hungry. lol

Thanks for your help!

Regular flake food but they also really should get some fronzen food like bloodworms. Freeze-dried is ok but frozen is usually better for them.

verucaproduce said:
It is a honey flame gourami, if that makes a difference. :D
Thanks.

It does...there are a number of species (and groups) of gouramis that range from adult sizes of 1½" to 28", and each have somewhat different requirements.

I have a red honey gourami (not sure if it's the same as your species, perhaps) and she is a pig! :) Eats just about everything, flakes, pellets, sinking wafers, algae wafers, some algae, freeze dried blood worms and brine shrimp. I find that my gourami is constantly eating and naturally excreting, just like my Oto catfish.

Male gourami's like floating plants for bubble nest making. Unfortunately, I have a female so I've never seen it done, though, I've seen a betta make one. Keep the surface agitation to a minimum so it doesn't destroy the nest.

My gourami likes to explore the whole tank. I have a planted tank so she gets her face into every nook and cranny, she's contort if she has too. She'll find food wherever it may be whether it be on rocks, driftwood, plants, or equipment.

Gourami's are very interesting!
RoK it looks like you have a cool tank there...

verucaproduce said:
It is a honey flame gourami, if that makes a difference. :D
Thanks.
It is still a dwarf gourami. Here's a link with some info: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=992
I know it says Honey Dwarf Gourami but it's basically the same, just different color. It does say the care level is difficult though, I'm guessing it's because they need very clean water?

RoK said:
It is still a dwarf gourami.
I know it says Honey Dwarf Gourami but it's basically the same, just different color. It does say the care level is difficult though, I'm guessing it's because they need very clean water?

Different species, though, but similar care, yes. All fish need very clean water. :wink:

Well, but what I meant is like they are probably more demanding of high water quality because they become sick more easily than many others, something of that sort. :?

RoK said:
Well, but what I meant is like they are probably more demanding of high water quality because they become sick more easily than many others, something of that sort. :?

I don't think so....I have C. lalia, T. vitattus, T. pumilia, T. leeri, and T. trichopterus, and none, except for possibly the croaking gouramis, are extra particular about water quality.

BTB, Colisa sota is now, correctly, Trichogaster chuna, although most online info is probably under the former taxon.

BTB, Colisa sota is now, correctly, Trichogaster chuna, although most online info is probably under the former taxon.

I think you mean Colisa Chuna, right? Or is my very recent book misinforming me? :D

Billsgate said:

I think you mean Colisa Chuna, right? Or is my very recent book misinforming me? :D

Misinforming....but don't be surprised, fish taxonomy can change very quickly...about the only way you could have a book that would be really up to date would be to order the Aqualog "All Anabantoids", and get all the updates to put in the back...unfiortunately, you would probably be looking at a good $65-$100.

Really? Damn, this book told me that the smaller species are generally refered to as colissa and the trichogaster family is larger. Ah well, as long as we know what fish we are talking about it should be okey, can't keep up with the names changing that much. :D

Back
Top Bottom