Gourami Tankmates & General Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenna_bear8d

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I currently have a 15g tank with one Opaline Gourami (male), 4 Corys, and one Oto. I know my tank is pretty stocked, however I keep up with the maintenance and it's doing very well with all of it's balances. I used to have another Gourami, but I had to return her, but she did excellent with the two weeks she was in there. I tried to add a different female and my Gourami was very upset, so I decided to return her as well.

I was just wondering if there was anyone else I could add to the tank? I understand if I can't, but I was very curious.

Also--I was considering changing to sand and lightly planting my tank. Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance! :fish1:

Gourami Tankmates & General Questions

The opaine gourami when I looked it up said it grows to 5 inches and needs a 20 gallon minimum size tank. My suggestion would be rehome it and up the ottos to 6-8, as they need to be in larger groups.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Actually the cores need to be In a 20 gallon minimum too and need to be in groups of at least 6. If you could swing it and upgrade to at least a 20 gallon tank, rehome the opaine , then you could have nice schools of cores and ottos. And then you could have a honey gourami which only gets to be 2-3 inches.

I wouldn't put an Opaline in anything smaller than a 40, personally. A 15 or even a 20 is just too small. No swimming room, really. If you really want a gourami, try a Honey gourami. They are the least aggressive of all the gouraimis, and the ones I've had have been very friendly. However, even with a Honey, I don't know if a 15 gallon would be big enough for two. Fish get stressed when their space is too small, and will often turn on each other in frustration.

I agree with fishliker to get more ottos. They hate being alone, and prefer larger groups. What kind of cories do you have? Some grow to 4," and you might be overstocked. Cories also do need a bigger tank than what you have.

I just saw that fishliker has also suggested the Honey gourami! LOL. I agree that you need more cories, and your 15 gal. is just too small for the number of cories and ottos that you need for your fish to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom