Gourami with internal parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My gold gourami suddenly STOPPED EATING 2 days ago and has long STRINGY WHITE POOPS trailing from her. Could this be internal parasites?
If so, how do I treat it?

TIA
Ginger :)

does she/he look bloated? stringy white poop can also be a sign of constipation.

Thats a good question - would bloating be real obvious? I don't have a lot of experience so I am not sure. Do they also refuse to eat when constipated?
What would I use to treat that? I have already dosed the tank with metrozol.

for constipation - blanch a pea or 2 and squeeze it out of the skin into the tank. Epsom salts also work for constipation - usually fish do no eat when constipated.

It would look like a bulge and should be a noticeable difference.

I tried the pea thing but she wont eat or even come near for food :cry:
How much epsom salt for a 46 gal? I also have a small amount of aquarium salt in tank at this time - would adding epsom salt make the tank too salty?
Also, I have Metrozol (like hexamit) dosing in tank with a water change scheduled for today to add a second dose.
Thanks for all your help!

I recently had two Red Honey Gourami that were constipated. They had that white stringy pooh, less active, and did not eat. I thought it might be internal parasites and I was considering get them medication, but I waited another day and monitored them closely. I also did water changes 20%, then a 5-10% the next day. I didn't do the pea thing or the salt thing, just stuck to getting my water conditions at optimum. They eventually started eating again and after a few days they regained their coloured pooh and were back to their normal selves. I also tried not to overfeed them during this period when they regained their appetite.

My mistake was overfeeding them. My rasbora's always get to the food first so I put out too much food because I thought they didn't get enough. But then I realized that my gourami's seem to always be on the hunt for food, in the gravel, on fake plant leaves, and the tank wall.

I had a fish showing the same symptoms as yours. Put the fish in a hospital tank and treat with "HEXAMIT" (by aquatronics). It contains metranidazole which should help. It worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom