Gourami with pimple-like infection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a gourami that has a white, pimple-looking infection in front of the gills. It only has this on one side. The fish also seems to be acting normal. I don't really know what it could be. I have been looking on the internet, but I haven't found a guaranteed identification. Does anyone know what this might be?

Here are some pictures of it:
gourami-diseased1.jpg

gourami-diseased2.jpg

Thanks for any help you can give.

Don't medicate. You have Lympnocystis. About as dangerous a pimple. I say this with 50% certainty! I'd like to see another camera angle from the front of the fish.

It looks like this fish is in a q-tank? If it is, try adding 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. Give it a few days and see if the fish doesnt' fight it off on its own. Unless it begins to spread to it face, or begins to effect respiration and feeding, then don't be overly concerned. Definately do NOT use any copper based medication, as you may develop a bacterial infection near the sore and copper will only make it worse.

Lymphocystis :wink: (I know it is a typo - just want it to be clear so folks can look it up)

I agree that it in itself is not dangerous, and as MarkLehr mentioned it can become a problem when it interferes with feeding or gill function, but the most common problem is a secondary bacterial infection. Watch the fish closely.

Thanks for your help! I added the salt and I'll keep an eye on him.

Here's a view from the front:
gourami-diseased3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom