GouramiLover's Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have added a few snails to my tank! I researched a clean up crew for Nano tanks and it seemed that just a few of the smaller snails would be the best bet.

2 bumblebee
1 narcissus
1 cerith

They all promptly disappeared under the sand. I hope they will pop up on the rocks occasionally and clear off some of the bad algae that my live rock came with.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright, time to think about filling up my tank.

My local petco is my best option for coral locally. They actually have a decent selection that looks healthy, but they do not get coral in very often, so I need other options for corals. My lfs is TERRIBLE, so that is not an option.

If I want to order some frags online are there any online suppliers that you all would highly recommend?

I'm in a similar boat for my corals. Almost everything I've ordered offline. There is much that varies with it, but I do have some favorites. One of them is saltwaterfish.com. Most of my coral has come from there. The rest are from liveaquaria.
One thing I have learned about the coral coming into my LFS, is to learn the day the order comes in and show up either that day or the day after. This prevents them from sitting under inferior lighting and browning out and bleaching to death.

So until I have some Christmas money (hopefully) I am going to have to wait to order corals online. I do like that unique corals site though!

Yesterday I picked up two corals, a toadstool leather and a blue sympodium from petco. Niether were on my list for this tank, but they are both peaceful and looked soooo healthy. I also researched them and they both seem appropriate for my size tank. The sympodium came with a small red feather duster and the toadstool has a slightly bigger yellow feather duster. Do I need to feed the feather dusters something?

Here are some pics!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419371045.458125.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419371209.189393.jpg

Look into local reef clubs in your area too. That can help with coral expenses with trades or other things.

I am at a loss with fish keeping clubs of any kind in Reno. Reno in such a blackhole for fish keeping I am lucky to have met one other serious fish keeper in Reno in the 7 years I have been here. :banghead:

There is one reef store, besides the general LFS that I despise, but the owner has been moving his stock around every few months to different store fronts and you can tell that the coral is not fairing well for it.

I can start a new thread somewhere else to see if anyone on this forum is also from Reno and knows of a club or even just wants to trade or sell to me.

on another note, I have been doing my research on possible shrimp or even fish for this tank. My problem is I am getting confusing information about adding these to an 8.5 gallon tank.

Can I get help with this? Ideas? Opinions?

The task is 8.5 gallons itself and my hang on the back adds about a gallon to the system.

Most types of saltwater shrimp will work in this tank, including cleaners, peppermints, sexys, pistols, etc.

As for fish, there will always be debates over proper fish stocking, but the general consensus for tanks under ten gallons is that only smaller gobys, blennys, and the occasional damsel are most often successful. One cool option for a 10g is a goby/shrimp pair.

There are tons of options for inverts though, including shrimp! Pom Pom crabs, porcelain crabs, and pedersons shrimp are some of my favorites :)

Thank you for the suggestions! I definitely like the idea of a goby shrimp pair.

It will be a while before I add fish or inverts though. I want to fill the tank up with coral first.

Congrats for the SW tank and the new sponges. Good eye (or luck for these, they look nice) and Corals. The newer rock formation looks good. I wouldn't wait for a shrimp and Goby pair (only til the tank matured some and you were sure it was stablized), filling it up with coral could take a little while.

Glad to help, sounds like a plan. Happy holidays! :fish2:

Congrats for the SW tank and the new sponges. Good eye (or luck for these, they look nice) and Corals. The newer rock formation looks good. I wouldn't wait for a shrimp and Goby pair (only til the tank matured some and you were sure it was stablized), filling it up with coral could take a little while.

Happy holidays to you both!

My tank is stabilized. The parameters are stable. My corals are more open today that ever before! The sponges also are looking awesome! I love their color and not a single one has died! I will be doing a small water change today and I will take pics afterwards! I need to switch out one of my aqua clear 110 HOB body for another as I have a small crack near the out flow part of the filter that is causing some salt creep (no water loss, just a little salt). It is not a huge issue, but I would rather avoid having to worry about it. I will just replace it with a good one and then super glue the old one for my freshwater tank.

As far as shrimp and fish goes I think I will just wait till my next paycheck. It would be nice to have some semi intelligent life in this tank (though the coral is beautiful!). All my other tanks are freshwater with fish, snails, plants, and even shrimp so adding a fish and shrimp to this tank will be nice!

Happy Holidays to all!

Photo update:

Zoas from unique corals
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421860734.897249.jpg

Chalice (?) from saltwaterfish.com, came in a 5-pack of assorted coral.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421860751.583570.jpg

Unsure on this one, in the brain coral family? Also from saltwaterfish.com in the 5-pack.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421860852.164201.jpg

Ricordea from saltwaterfish.com in the 5-pack.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421860965.995700.jpg

Polyps from saltwaterfish.com in the five pack. I split them up and moved them around this rock.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421861039.106114.jpg

Hammer from unique corals.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421861226.381821.jpg

Turbinaria (?) from saltwaterfish.com in the 5-pack.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421861337.061741.jpg

Also got some red mushrooms from a friend, but they are still adjusting so their close up will have to wait. Also, didn't get a pic of my toadstool or of my sympodium which I broke up and spread around the tank.

Fts. I moved corals around and took corals off their disks or plugs where possible.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421861534.441778.jpg

Now it is time to let everything adjust and fill in. Once everyone is happy I am thinking I will add a single yellow clown goby to the tank. My local lfs does one thing right which is keep very healthy looking yellow clown gobies, so I think I might support local business on that one.

Also, getting a light just to make my fluorescent corals pop (still going to run my other light). Gets in later this week along with a long pair of tweezers which I think will be my new forever love with this small tank ;)

Nice scroll chunk. What else did you get from the 5 pack?

Pictures are all above. Overall, I am quite happy with the 5-pack as it was a good price and free shipping! The corals came in pretty cold, but they appear to be just fine.

Chalice piece (?) not sure

Turbunaria/scroll

Some type of brain coral piece (?)

Green polyps (6heads) zoas I think

Ricordea w/ 3 mouths

Back
Top Bottom