Gourmais and a Jungle of Pennywort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmoney87

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am in a perdicament. My spelling not the issue this time however. It started out as a few shoots of pennywort which soon grew up and out. I now have a massive floating jungle of pennywort intertwined with various spiraling shoots of amazon swords. Its pretty much taken over the entire surface of my 75g tank. Although cutting back and creating various holes to let the light shine in I still see it as a problem of suffocating my other plants and depriving them of much needed light. On the other hand I have a pair of mating gourmais who are in heaven. bobbing and weaving through 4ft of lush green floating oasis. The male often building his bubble nest up every few months (altough no fry have appreared to survive) I do not remove any fish when they are mating and I do not move the fry to breeding tanks. I really dont need to be overrun with gourmais as much as I do enjoy them. If a couple do survive Ill glady accept them, But Im not exactly putting the odds in there favour. If the fry can survive in the wild, then surely one of these times a couple will survive in my tank. However back to the issue. Well not so much as an issue, I just know that My gourmais would be devestated if I were to remove the floating plants. Im also curious though as to how beneficial this can be to my other fish? Would they more prefer the openess or not? Would they enjoy the extra surface area to swim? I know my other plants would rather the pennywort be gone but so far I havent seen many adverse affects.. a few more yellowing or dying leaves but nothing too serious. I feel as if maybe im getting closer to a whole new look and setup for my tank, change is always exceiting but as any fish / plant aquarium owner knows that sometimes more then often trying to fix something that isent broken often leads to disasters.. we try to aim to please all of the inhabitants of our tanks.. along with the plants. Ok so im not sure what all that was I just felt like typing and If you read all that Im sorry but you cant have the last 5 minutes of your life back ;)

-davE

I think people could answer your questions better if you posted pictures of your tank :pepsi:

Back
Top Bottom