Gouromi acting very odd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarVal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tank for 3-ish years. My Gouri is about that same age. In the last month he has been doing some strange things. I have read a post somewhere else describing the exact same thing but was from 07 and there was no helpful response. He will all of a sudden go crazy and hit the tank, gravel, rocks and shoot out the surface and hit the top then float curled up to the bottom and hang for as long as 30 secs then all of a sudden back to normal. All my other fish are fine. They aren't doing anything odd, aren't jumpy, though they don't like it much when he has these spaz attacks. My Angel goes over to him sometimes after the whole thing and will make sure he's ok. They are good friends, odd, I know. It's been a year but he's had two females and killed them both, unlucky in love may be. I was wondering if this was matting time for him. I've heard they can get pretty agressive. He looks healthy, eyes, fins and all. Anyone got any ideas. Should I be worring? Come to think of it last year he did the same thing a few times but stopped soon after. It's lasting longer this time. So here I am.

Well number 1 How many fish are in the tank and what size tank is it? Also the bala shark you have in there, how big is it? Because something is stressing him out. Is the filter making unusual sounds or acting weird? You also have to remember that there average life span is about 5 years, so he is not a young fish if he is 3 years old! Keep us updated.

You should test your water for these things (nitrites, nitrates, ammonia and pH) and post back the results. Also could you get a video of what he's doing and put it on here?

The water is ok, everything is normal and there hasn't been any flexuation with the water either. I don't believe the water is the problem. I'm pretty consistant about it. The tank size is 29gal and all the fish in it are about the same age. They have been together for almost three years. The bala sharks are not new. I haven't added any new fish or plants. it's been pretty much the same for about 3 years. Other than normal up keep. Haven't changed any brands of food or filters and the pump is all normal as is the air pump for the bubbles. That's been there for almost two years. I'm at a loss.

After 3 years and the fish growing, it could just be getting too crowded in a 29g tank. Those balas must be huge! I have a bala in a 84G that is about a year and he is 4" long. Way too big for a 29G. I dont know if thats what is causing the spastic behaviour but you should probably take a look at upgrading to a bigger tank.

The female bala is about 4 inches and the male close behind but they've been that size for the better part of a year. I was thinking of something. I've been a bit more busy lately and have gone to feeding them about every third day but have not been turning the light on in between the feedings. I use to turn the light on daily. I was thinking it might be that. Like Etunes was saying something is stressing him out. Gouri's are a fun fish and I've found them a little playful and sometimes nerotic. It's fun watching him and the Angel interact. They are most definitily both males but I sometimes wonder if they've grown a bit to fond of each other. Thanks everyone for the words. My mother use to breed Angels, Tetras and Oscars. What an adventure. A whole room for little fish tanks. Thanks all.

Sorry if I missed it... What type of gourami?

If it's a "dwarf" (colisa lalia) it's nearly at the end of it's lifespan and it may not have anything to do with anything else.

The tank is small for balas though. What's your maintenance routine?

NH1 mintioned something i didn't think about. What kind of gourami is it? Also you are thinking of only inside the tank. Has anything changes on the outside of it. Because things such as you had a kid when you started the tank and now your child is beating on the tank and stressing the tan (just as a example).

Back
Top Bottom