Grading system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmckyfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After reading your post you make references to F1 or F2. I was wondering what this is and if you can explain this grading system to me.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is my understanding that f1 refers to one step removed from the wild so if you have a wild pair and they breed in an aquarium they would make a F1 fish. I'm not 100% on the workings of the grading system but to me it kind of seems like a scam for unscrupulous breeders to get more money for their fish. I imagine that the presumed value of an f1 fish is that it has not been crossbreed. It seems hard to prove and I get the feeling that not all fish labeled as F1 are truly once removed from the wild. I'm still relatively new to the hobby but for me I think that the results are more important than the grade on the fish. If anyone would care to disagree I would like to hear your thought.

Thanks. That really helps a lot. It does sound like it could be a big scam to me.

F1 and f2 and so on come from simple genetics. Your p (parent) generation in the aquarium grade are wild caught fish their offspring are then the first generation (f1) the offspring of two f1 are the f2 generation and so on. It's not a scam, wild caught have the freshest best genes, their offspring the f1 have great genes. As you move down the scale of captive breeding you get worse and more inbreed genes that weakens things like color and parenting skills. Getting f1s or 2s is rewarding for this reason.

This is used as a scam quite a bit. I have heard people bragging about their new F1- (whatever) when it is a species 100% made in captivity (like a crystal ruby red)

True F1's do exist. To know you have an F1 you must trust the person selling it to you. If possible see the parents. You can generally see the difference in a wild caught vs. tank breed. And if they have any paperwork supporting the origin if the fish.

I have an F1 Maylandi Sulpherhead. I saw the parents. I saw the manifest for the parents. And I got it from a dealer I really trust. All of that, and it could still be fake, although it turned out incredibly brilliant, so I believe it.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't have any local fish suppliers here that I can get F1 fish from.

Back
Top Bottom