Graham's 20L reef (college budget)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have some really nice pieces. I just added a green bubble coral to my collection as well, they are beauties for sure.
That said, watch how it and the euphilias interact. They are both aggressive corals and won't play nice with each other. I'd suspect the euphilias would win as their sweepers are much longer if I remember correctly.

You have some really nice pieces. I just added a green bubble coral to my collection as well, they are beauties for sure.
That said, watch how it and the euphilias interact. They are both aggressive corals and won't play nice with each other. I'd suspect the euphilias would win as their sweepers are much longer if I remember correctly.

Thanks sniper. The bubble is just placed there in the sand bed temporarily until I rearrange some rock. Well aware of that euphy sting with my red monti invading their space haha. Bubbles are Definitely one of my favorite corals. When my LFS store I work at got it I had to have it as I haven't seen to many with the green "spattered" over the bubbles. almost like someone took a paint brush and did it themselves haha. From things I've read over the years, greens seem to be "tougher" to keep. So far this one has done pretty well from what I can see and looks to have grown some even. Any truth to this?

Also I know the bubble can be a pretty aggressive coral as you said.. I don't know if you could see in the picture but there is a nice size purple monti cap frag behind the bubble. They have actually been touching for a month or 2 now yet the monti has no signs of being stung and is doing just fine. I will be moving them soon but thought it was kind of an interesting interaction I wouldn't have expected

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In a typical reef environment, bubbles are hardy. They like low-medium flow and don't really need a ton of light. When it comes to the ones that aren't white, they tend to require more lighting than their white or tan counterparts. As long as they aren't being blasted with flow, the bubbles will fully inflate and there shouldn't be any problems. Too much flow can lead to damage to the bubbles and tissue recession, which can lead to either algae taking root on the skeleton or even brown jelly disease. I have a white bubble that came in pretty beat up, but it is still in the tank to this day with many months under its belt. Algae has taken root on the skeleton several times, but being very careful to remove it...it is a learning experience at that though. Too rough and you can tear one of the bubbles. This leads to further tissue recession. This is why reef quality water is important to prevent anything from getting on the skeleton if there is any type of issue.

I love that aqua scape out of curiosity how do you keep that rock on the right balanced with fish my fish would knock it over ,
I do agree with hank with what he said ,"watch how it and the euphilias interact. They are both aggressive corals and won't play nice" my torch stung my fox and it was almost 18 inches away ,that was not a pretty site,
hammers don't seem to be as threatening at least in my experience

very nice assortment of corals you got there I defiantly need more color myself ,
looking good keep us updated

Just saw this thread, beautiful tank! That digis huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love that aqua scape out of curiosity how do you keep that rock on the right balanced with fish my fish would knock it over ,
I do agree with hank with what he said ,"watch how it and the euphilias interact. They are both aggressive corals and won't play nice" my torch stung my fox and it was almost 18 inches away ,that was not a pretty site,
hammers don't seem to be as threatening at least in my experience

very nice assortment of corals you got there I defiantly need more color myself ,
looking good keep us updated

If it's the rock I think you're seeing it's actually a pagoda cup coral that has a real nice flat base to it. Just a temporary spot for it as I can't put it many other places. Thing is massive, at least for my tank it is. The fish I have really aren't that into rearranging things thankfully. Mandarin , couple firefish and a pygmy angel play just about as nice and peaceful as it can get. My 2 fire shrimp are the psychopaths of the tank lol. They run all over EVERYTHING. Although I know it's probably safe, my heart skips a beat every time those guys jump on the bubble coral. Just seems it would be so easy for their sharp legs to "pop" a bubble or 2

Just saw this thread, beautiful tank! That digis huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks bribo! Haha ya I knew they grew fast but man.. I got it as a frag last summer and now it's bigger than a softball. Definitely some fragging in the future as the red monti is starting to actually grow over one of the digi's branches. Kind of cool seeing how different corals "compete" for real estate where as it seems my bubble and purple monti seem to care less that they've actually been touching for a month or 2

So nothing new with the tank. Still trying to conquer this algae problem..

On a different note though I recently sprung on a lightning maroon clown!!! I was offered a great deal at 30$ and just couldn't say no as the clown will remain at the store until I get a tank set up and cycled for it. Just gonna be a tank specifically for the clown with a few bubble tips I'm thinking. I'll start a thread as soon as I get the tank.

Got a temporary 12g nano cube yesterday to get this lightning maroon tank goin! Will start a separate thread soon

Did my daily feeding today of some frozen mysis with a bit of flake and pellet and watched my mandarin chase and eat some pellet and flake food!.. I know some have been able to get mandarins to take pellet but I had never actually seen it in person. Exciting to say the least.

Looks like this dude has some sticky fingers... watched him slowly pull a few polyps off the rock they were on. They grow fast enough so it was a cool thing to see
1440038601839.jpg

Also if anyone has an ID on those zoas by chance I'd love to hear..

Really hard to tell with the blues on. With that, all zoa names are really only Mickey Mouse and can very from place to place. To me, I see Armor of God zoas.

Really hard to tell with the blues on. With that, all zoa names are really only Mickey Mouse and can very from place to place. To me, I see Armor of God zoas.

They're pretty much exactly what you see.. a nice pink ring and then the rest is a dark, dark bluish color? Maybe slightly lighter around the skirt?

I'm on vacation at the moment in top sail beach, nc but I'll get a better pic of em when I get back.
On a side note, going to the beach late night is such and amazing site here.. unreal amount of shame-face crabs (I know that's broad) and almost every 30 ft or so you see a tortilla sized ray cruise through the waves looking for food. Theyre flat out everywhere!

After taking a look at zoabrary my guess is pink zippers?

So nothin new with the tank besides a small green acro but I do have a question.. I run a HOB aquac remora-s skimmer and was wondering if I would be able to put a bag of chemipure elite somewhere in it?

I am currently running a canister as well which is stripped of all media besides the chemipure but I want to remove the canister. Only dilemma is where I would then put the chemipure.

So if I am able to add the chemipure into the skimmer somwhere, where at should it be place?

Here's the frag. Nothin special but thought I'd share
1442897172250.jpg

So does this look like dinos to anyone? I've never had algae problems even when I first started the tank using GFO and didn't use RO. I added a few pieces of LR to the tank several months ago and ever since then I've struggled with this algae in the tank.
1445978998388.jpg1445979018677.jpg

Back
Top Bottom