grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keenfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
i love this picture mainly the grass bit. i would love to do the same for my tank.
does anyone else have any grass, how much you planted at first and how long did it take to get where you are pictures would be greatful

Attachments

• amanotank.jpg
    amanotank.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 145
Im not sure what type of plant is attached to the driftwood, but I am pretty sure the main ground cover is glosso, and the stuff in the back left is dwarf hairgrass, aka needle rush. Both are pretty high-light plants and I'm pretty sure the glosso at least does better with CO2.

Im not sure what type of plant is attached to the driftwood, but I am pretty sure the main ground cover is glosso, and the stuff in the back left is dwarf hairgrass, aka needle rush. Both are pretty high-light plants and I'm pretty sure the glosso at least does better with CO2.
i will be adding co2 anyway so that wont be an issue i just want to know the growth rate roughly

Like any plants, the growth rate is going to depend on your lighting, fertilizers, amount of Co2, etc.

According to aquariumplants.com, glosso has a relatively fast growth rate assuming you give it everything it needs. It needs high light to grow well, or it will simply melt and die.

Dwarf hairgrass has a moderate growth rate... so its not really fast, but it isnt as slow as some species of moss. It does fairly well in moderate-high lighting.

the top picture almost looks like Dwarf Baby tear, most of the carpeting plants to get them to grow that thick and keep them low will need high lighting, co2 and ferts.

if given the right care most plants will grow fairly quickly thick carpets take a while though

Like any plants, the growth rate is going to depend on your lighting, fertilizers, amount of Co2, etc.

According to aquariumplants.com, glosso has a relatively fast growth rate assuming you give it everything it needs. It needs high light to grow well, or it will simply melt and die.

Dwarf hairgrass has a moderate growth rate... so its not really fast, but it isnt as slow as some species of moss. It does fairly well in moderate-high lighting.
thats all well and good but that dont explain much, like the glosso if i planted 1in square how long will it take to get to 4in square?

I am planning to do a tank just like that. One of the aquarium mags at Petsmart about 2 months ago had a great article about how to get a carpet going and looks like the best is setting it up like a terrarium with almost no water. Cover the tank to keep humidity high and give it lots of light and stuff. It will grow faster and don't have to worry about algae and other problems.

thats all well and good but that dont explain much, like the glosso if i planted 1in square how long will it take to get to 4in square?

Its impossible to tell you that. It depends on lighting, ferts, Co2, how much space it has, the stock of the plant. Sometimes you can have the best conditions and the plant wont grow it all, and sometimes you can have subpar conditions and you have a plant that wont die.

Back
Top Bottom