Gravel clouding water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I've just set up a new tank with quite fine gravel. Unfortunately I didn't rinse the gravel enough and now my tank is cloudy. Is there anyway to get rid of this without emptying tank and washing gravel?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

water changes, and time. just hang in there a couple days. assuming your tank is cycled, your fish will be fine. is your tank cycled?

Nope not yet. There's only a few tetras in there to start the process

cloudy water is common during the cycling process and may or may not be the result of new substrate. if it is the substrate, have no fear, it will clear up soon. otherwise, keep up with the frequent water changes. are you testing the water's parameters? if so, what are you using? if not, buy a liquid test kit, not the strips, and test often in the beginning. 40-50% water changes daily or every other day until you see zeroes for nitrite and ammonia. anything other than zeroes means you are not cycled. will likely take about 6 weeks or so, give or take a week. unless....

best advice for you is to ask your fish store to squeeze out some bacteria from a sponge and dump it into your tank....also, if you know anyone with an established tank they could help you with this.

best advice for you is to ask your fish store to squeeze out some bacteria from a sponge and dump it into your tank....also, if you know anyone with an established tank they could help you with this.

+I

It's definitely not the cycling process making my water hazy. It was hazy as I was filling in with water and I thought it would settle down. Put my tetras in. And now it's still cloudy a day and half later

its dirt from the gravel and it will settle ina few days running the filter will suck most of it out , but may clog the filter media

Back
Top Bottom