Gravel dust in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have posted about me changing the gravel in my tank, everything it going good as far as no spikes in ammonia, nitrite ph etc etc, my nitrates are finally 20-25, the issue is the gravel I got is so thin no matter how much I rinsed the gravel (which wasn't much) the dust was still abundant and its in my tank, it's full of gravel dust and i cannot get it out, if i disturb the water just a little it looks like a dust storm, I did add some canister floss that is made to get super fine particles in my hob's I just have to watch closely because they clog fast and will over flow, the dust is in my filters which is why I'm posting, when I changed the gravel I made sure I didn't touch my filters for 2 months prior to doing so, but if I don't clean the filters out the dust will never get out off the tank but if I touch my filters im risking a cycle am I correct in this? I was told don't touch the filters and don't vac the gravel for a few weeks but this dust has to go, I can't use a binder because I added liquid bacteria and binders also bind bacteria, any advice would be appriciated.

Sounds like you have more than one h.o.b. if so, maybe you can change the filters in one and try to collect the dust there while leaving the other one alone. Keep in mind that your beneficial bacteria grow on all of the surfaces in your tank,not just in the filter, so you may loose some but not all. Perhaps you can stir it up and suck it out with a water change. Just some thoughts. If it were me, I would change the gravel again to something a bit larger, because this sounds like a problem that's going to continue for a long time. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sounds like you have more than one h.o.b. if so, maybe you can change the filters in one and try to collect the dust there while leaving the other one alone. Keep in mind that your beneficial bacteria grow on all of the surfaces in your tank,not just in the filter, so you may loose some but not all. Perhaps you can stir it up and suck it out with a water change. Just some thoughts. If it were me, I would change the gravel again to something a bit larger, because this sounds like a problem that's going to continue for a long time. Hope this helps. Good luck.
No I went to a smaller gravel because I had large, and my nitrates would never drop below 70 no matter what I did, also I needed a smaller gravel for plants, I have canister floss in my filters now but I have to change them out every 5-8 hours cage that are clogged, yes I know my Texas holey rock had a lot of BB in, glass, decor etc etc, it will come out I just have to wait to do a pwc till tomorrow the top pic is my old gravel the bottom is new 20161129_082731.jpg20170205_213037.jpg

If you rinse your filter in old tank water you won't cycle.
Yeah I just been swishing the media in water I tank from the tank and put it right back in my filter so that it doesn't dry out have a temp change resulting in the Bb dying off, I just should if rinsed the gravel it's my own fault, if I leave it alone it looks fine but soon as I touch the water boom tornado lol

So I put the bio magnet stuff from caribsea in the tank today now I have dirt balls all over lol, Yay they can get sucked up now lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom