Gravel Goop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Starting talking about the idea for using the gravel goop (fish dirt, dirt in the gravel) to help cycle a tank.... Original idea was cause of the break down of matter into ammonia.

Struck my mind in a PM..... Also cause I just changed my gravel to sand in two established tanks.... Drain out the water into a bucket, including some gravel goop... pop in a heater to store the fish till the water is gone and sand is placed in/water refill....

...Ok I know the water does not hold much bacteria. My theory is that since the tank it was coming from was established the gravel goop would already have a tiny bit of bacteria on it already eating the gravel goop. Put into the new "dead" sand this might help establish colonies of bacteria all through the sand.

Granted I have the filter media and such with bacteria on it.... But wouldn't that take a while to spread out from the filter and colonize the new sand?

Just another strange idea that just might be of some merit?

I think that goop should help. Esp. if you are doing fishless, the goop would be both an ammonia source & bacteria source.

I did it when I re-did the sand (gravel to sand) in my established tanks.

Next time I clean I am going to try it on the tank I am cycling. :)

Back
Top Bottom