Gravel or sand ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
christine2012 said:
You have to sift your sand once in awhile. Certain gases get trapped under there and become toxic after so long. I have to vacuum a lot though because I use a spray bar and it doesn't create much current.

Where did you get this idea?

I have heard it a lot to I don't know where it started but it's true at least for me I move my sand and gas bubbles certainly do come out

josh7 said:
I have heard it a lot to I don't know where it started but it's true at least for me I move my sand and gas bubbles certainly do come out

I've never heard a single case of fish dying due to a gas buildup in the sand bed. Sounds about as improbable as a human suffocating because all the oxygen molecules flooded to the corner of the room. What type of gas are we even talking about that is building up? The sand does a good job keeping waste on the surface, unlike gravel which certainly is holding rotten junk out of site.

I've never seen a reputable source confirming this sand "gas" problem, so I don't think it's a valid disadvantage to having sand until proven otherwise.

Anaerobic gas pockets are present but they are harmless, as the bacteria start transforming due to the lack of oxygen they start reducing iron and sulfur. One of the by-products of this is hydrogen sulfide which is truly dangerous but when exposed to oxygenated water it's utterly harmless. Like 5x5 said there is not one documented case of anaerobic gas pockets causing harm or a fatality in a aquarium, another perpetuated myth reguritated on aquarium forums.

Last edited:
Haha, I never said they were lethal. Just to release them. I do it to be on the safe side and its certainly not a disadvantage to having sand. I've heard it a few times. It could be a myth but I'm still going to sift my sand to be sure.

Haha, I never said they were lethal. Just to release them. I do it to be on the safe side and its certainly not a disadvantage to having sand. I've heard it a few times. It could be a myth but I'm still going to sift my sand to be sure.

To be fair, you said that you "Have" to release them in your original response, which to me implies it's not an optional practice and would otherwise lead to some type of ticking timebomb that will somehow harm the fish. Because if it wouldn't harm or kill the fish, why bother?

If I were a new poster asking about sand vs gravel and read your comment about sand, I would be very hesistant to put it in my tank. Now your saying it could be a myth and is not a disadvantange? Be mindful of the people you influence along the way.

Fair enough. When I first posted it was very clear that i meant sand is the way to go. Just trying to present both sides (factual or not) based on things I've read heard or experienced. For me it isn't as simple as just letting my jet clean my sand. For me there is more to it. As ive said, presenting both sides.

Anaerobic gas pockets are present but they are harmless, as the bacteria start transforming due to the lack of oxygen they start reducing iron and sulfur. One of the by-products of this is hydrogen sulfide which is truly dangerous but when exposed to oxygenated water it's utterly harmless.

Although I've had several people say that ammonia can get trapped under there, can anybody verify or debunk this?

It is not ammonia that gets trapped, it's the nitrifying bactiera that starts to break down when it lacks oxygen...see my above response.

Back
Top Bottom