gravel/substrate question (need advice!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsterz3ro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The last time I posted, I asked several questions that I had already found some answers for but felt that I was finding "conflicting information", only to have it turn out that after further reading, there wasn't as much conflict as I thought there was- just me not being thorough enough. So, I hope that this is not the same case. Please bear with me.

I have a 56 gallon column aquarium (link) - slightly taller than the more traditional 55/56 gallon aquariums. I know lighting will be tricky, but/and I am wondering if this would also affect my choice of substrate or if this would be unchanged and based solely on the plants I want, not the depth of the aquarium.

Currently I have 35 lbs of medium-sized polished pebbles (this is the closest I can find to what I have). I took a little too much advice from a somewhat-knowledgeable but clearly not stellar aquarium person at a local aquarium shop here (don't get the small, it sucks up into the syphon, and don't get the large, it clogs the syphon...). I would like to plant extensively, and would like to have a variety of plants. I understand this might be slightly more challenging given the aquarium dimensions, however I want to do it nonetheless. My concern is finding the appropriate substrate. I want to avoid sand, but will use it if necessary. I am thinking now that the medium-sized pebbles I have currently are not conducive to planting (I have read that pebbles allow too much "cooling" of the roots and other problems). I am prepared to take a hit on the cost of ditching all this gravel, if necessary, but if there is some way to utilize at least some of this instead of replacing it all flat-out, I would prefer to do that.

I'm looking for any input on:

1. Whether this gravel is worth keeping at all, and if it can be planted in?

2. Can I keep some of the gravel and mix in a second substrate, or, use this as a top layer over a different substrate?

3. What is the best "all purpose" substrate to use to allow for a variety of plants?

4. Is my choice of substrate affected by my aquarium dimensions?

I was reading about quartz substrate (crushed quartz?) last night, and heard a lot of good reviews. In spite of living in the middle of Baltimore and being close by to a lot of rich suburbs and 40 minutes from DC, I have not found much in the way of aquarium supply aside from Petsmart and Petco. There is one apparently spectacular shop, Exotic Aquatics, but everything I have read is that they are none-too-welcoming to people with "n00b" questions, so I am trying to avoid that place (though I may be making some actual plant purchases there). I am still looking around for other stores, but it seems that maybe this quartz-based substrate is not easily attainable, even at specialty mom-and-pop places? Or maybe it is and I have just gotten the wrong impression.

Anyway, any and all info/feedback/suggestions are welcome.

I only use Estes' Ultra Reef. It is silica based (not calcium like the name suggest). It comes in different colors, I prefer either all black or black and white mixed. It is VERY uniform in size and the size is just large enough to allow oxygen to the whole sandbed and allow plants to root.

The three shops I go to when I go to Baltimore are Exotic Aquatics, Aquarium Depot, and House of Tropicals. Any mom and pop shop should be able to order the sand I mentioned, offer to prepay and they have no reason not to.

Sand is so much cleaner, more natural, and looks better, I will never use anything else again.

You could use the gravel you have, but if you can step down to the smaller pebbles that'd be better. Sand is not required. The tank size doesn't really alter your choice for substrate. Substrate doesn't care what it's sitting in.

Thanks for responses.

Fishguy- I didn't know Aquarium Depot or House of Tropicals. E.A. I've read a lot of reviews posted more recently that the place isn't particularly first-timer friendly, so I was a little hesitant. Good reviews of House of Tropicals. I didn't realize Glen Burnie was so close (I'm in the Charles Village/Waverly section of Baltimore). Where are you? Anyway I read that sand can compress and I was slightly further worried about that given that this aquarium is on the deeper side, which means more weight compressing the sand. Is this an issue for you? Sounds like it isn't?

Severumguy- I have one bag of the smaller pebbles already...could pick up more bags and just store the stuff I have now, or maybe use some for a top layer?

Can either of you (or anyone else) tell me how accurate/inaccurate this info is (especially re: sand, and gravel)?

There are no air pockets inside the sand so the pressure is not a factor.

I am in Northern Virginia and will occasionally make a trip to Baltimore or Richmond for fish shops.

I always use the sand stated for plants. The most I will do to help the substrate is add some root tabs. I don't like high tech plant tanks though, I max out what I can do without using CO2 gas. If you are trying to have a truly high end planted tank you may want something else, My first pick in that case would be fluorite black sand.

I would suggest House of Tropicals or Aquarium Depot over Exotic Aquatics... while the livestock selection at EA is really impressive, I haven't found the staff particularly friendly or helpful.

Back
Top Bottom