gravel vacs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my gravel vac is useless it wont suck up anyy poo without me digging the end in the sand.
Any good gravel vacs you know of or any tips on how to get the crap up.

Mine is the same way, you have to dig it into the substrate to pick up waste. However, you'd want it that way, otherwise the vac would be so strong, it would vac up your substrate and possibly a fish!

yeah but i end up vacing more sand than waste do your know if there is a vac with a norrower end so i can be more pinpoint with it

Fish would be fine with a stronger vac... Think how strong most powerfilter outlets are and they're happy enough swimming through that... They could deal with a stronger vac stream no problem...

I find when using my gravel vac that if I move the tip with small swirling motion (using it almost like a wand) I create a small swirly current over the substrate, this lifts any settled detritus from the surface which then gets drawn up the tube... I find it effective enough now I've got my tecnique perfected... Is a necessary for tanks with sand substrate to prevent you losing the sand through the syphon!

Of course if I want to do a deep substrate clean I'll dig the nozel into the substrate and leave it in that spot until the water runs clear up the tube.,,

the waste goes half way up then just starts to sink im gonna experiment with some rubber tubing see if that will work

I have the same problem! It looks like I didnt even vaccum my tank when im done.

Try a slightly larger tube or back and forth motion with the siphon. Guppies are pretty messy - actually have one tank with out any substrate at all - makes cleaning a snap.

I attach the intake of the power head to the out take of the gravel vac. (I think I said that right)

If you're using one that attaches to the sink then it's all to do with your water pressure. I worked at a PetSmart temporarily and I used the same gravel vac at home (Python) they used in the store and couldn't understand why theirs worked so much better. Then I noticed the sink it was hooked up to had about three times the water pressure of my sink at home.

if i attach it to my outtake will i have to clean all the waste out of my filter afterwards

Yes - you would just be moving the waste around you tank if you don't remove it. Would be like sweeping up the house and then leaving your garbage inside.

Back
Top Bottom