Gravel vacuming and dangers with disturbing gravel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I havent vacumed my gravel in my tank in quite a while. My tank sits on the floor and my syphon doesnt get enough suction to really pull up anything. And I really want to clean my gravel.
But now because I havent done it in so long I'm a little concerned something nasty might be lurking under there. And if I distrub it it might make my fish ill...What do I do?

What I would do is remove 80% of the tank water, and put this in a large tub.

Take the heater and filter and put it in the tub with all of your fish.

Once there is nothing in your tank but gravel and about an inch or two of water, really give it a good thorough clean. First vac it and them mix it all up.

You are correct in that cleaning gravel can lead to ammonia spikes and cause problems in your tank, so this method is always best.

When you put your water back in, fill the tank another 25% with clean water, then add your original water back in so there is just enough for your fish to swim in the tub.

Then put your fish back in with filter and heater and then put the rest of the tank water from the tub back in.

Good luck!

They make a battery operated vacuum you could get there's also the python which hooks to your faucet and the running water creates the suction. I wouldn't clean all the gravel at once since that is part of your biological filter and by doing that you will kill of some of the bacteria and you could get an ammonia spike till the bacteria has a chance to recover.

Back
Top Bottom