Gravel v's sand??? New tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jam4lyf said:
Called the store...comes in fine, medium and course...which one is best?

Sorry it took me a while but I got one fine and one medium I didn't know the difference then. Have u started washing

Haven't bought any yet...I didn't want to buy the wrong stuff and didn't have time to research elsewhere last night. Parent's 55th anniversary party tonight and planning has me pretty preoccupied :) The local store didn't have the coarse, only fine and medium. I'm putting one BIG Oranda in there, and I'm a little concerned about him sucking the sand in or cutting/scraping himself...he does spend a lot of time scouring the bottom. Any thoughts?

Also, about the black, after looking at pics and videos, it's really an awesome contrast. Plus the two decorations I have for the tank have black throughout and we decided the black sand would really set them off.

I'm a little back on the fence now...I know I sound goofy, but I absolutely LOVE this Oranda and want to make sure I'm doing what's best for him...

Advice and opinions MUCH appreciated :)

Your oranda will be fine with sand!!! I have no personal experience with this specific type of sand but i would opt for the medium or coarse stuff- the heavier/larger grain it is, the more likely it will stay in place & the easier it will be to clean. :)

You want course. The 20/40 is perfect. I have 30/60 in my tank and it's a hair too fine for me. There is no way I can siphon in it or stir it with the siphon without sucking up sand.

The pool filter sand really is a great substrate- I've had it with a planted tank before, but black with a gold fish would look even better. Your decision- pool filter sand is a easier to clean, start (no cloud or film), and keep IME. I haven't used a coarser one though (20/40), so maybe you can shove your siphon in that.

Jam4lyf said:
Haven't bought any yet...I didn't want to buy the wrong stuff and didn't have time to research elsewhere last night. Parent's 55th anniversary party tonight and planning has me pretty preoccupied :) The local store didn't have the coarse, only fine and medium. I'm putting one BIG Oranda in there, and I'm a little concerned about him sucking the sand in or cutting/scraping himself...he does spend a lot of time scouring the bottom. Any thoughts?

Also, about the black, after looking at pics and videos, it's really an awesome contrast. Plus the two decorations I have for the tank have black throughout and we decided the black sand would really set them off.

I'm a little back on the fence now...I know I sound goofy, but I absolutely LOVE this Oranda and want to make sure I'm doing what's best for him...

Advice and opinions MUCH appreciated :)

When I was washing mine it never bothered my hands as far as cutting me but there is also some black sand called Tahitian moon sand but Idk a thing about it. It maybe finer but idk

Andysol said:
You want course. The 20/40 is perfect. I have 30/60 in my tank and it's a hair too fine for me. There is no way I can siphon in it or stir it with the siphon without sucking up sand.

The pool filter sand really is a great substrate- I've had it with a planted tank before, but black with a gold fish would look even better. Your decision- pool filter sand is a easier to clean, start (no cloud or film), and keep IME. I haven't used a coarser one though (20/40), so maybe you can shove your siphon in that.

I never put my siphon into mine, just hover over it or swirl the water and it gets it all out.

I never put my siphon into mine, just hover over it or swirl the water and it gets it all out.

It's never a bad idea to run your fingers or siphon in the substrate if your substrate is a sand (very compact). It houses pockets of anaerobic bacteria that can be dangerous to the fish of released all at once.
In most cases it wouldn't matter, but if you decided to plant your tank one day, or get a sand loving fish that digs like crazy, then you'd want to mix up small sections over time before doing it.
It takes a few months for the bacteria to build to toxic levels, and you would need a large subtrate turnover area to have an impact, but just a nugget for the back of your brain. ;)

Andysol said:
It's never a bad idea to run your fingers or siphon in the substrate if your substrate is a sand (very compact). It houses pockets of anaerobic bacteria that can be dangerous to the fish of released all at once.
In most cases it wouldn't matter, but if you decided to plant your tank one day, or get a sand loving fish that digs like crazy, then you'd want to mix up small sections over time before doing it.
It takes a few months for the bacteria to build to toxic levels, and you would need a large subtrate turnover area to have an impact, but just a nugget for the back of your brain. ;)

Ok never been told that. Thanx

Ok never been told that. Thanx

I should have said that differently. Instead of "it's never a bad idea", I should have said "sometimes it's a good idea". If you're never going have digging fish or start heavy planting while fish are in there, it's actually better to leave it alone. Only when you are going to do one of the other two do you actually need to do something. :)

Sorry for my confusion.

Back
Top Bottom