gravel vs sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would like pros n cons on both please...atm I have 10g tank,2 gouramis n pleco.....near future will have a 29g tank

Would like pros n cons on both please...atm I have 10g tank,2 gouramis n pleco.....near future will have a 29g tank

I'll take a stab at this.

Sand pros:

Easy to clean any poop or debris will settle on top and NOT into the substrate as with sand
Looks more natural (IMO)
Depending on stock, they will like it also

Sand cons:

If it gets caught in your magnafloat it can scratch glass
It can get sucked into your filter and clog the impeller requiring you to take it apart and clean.

This are drastic but can happen.

Gravel pros:

Also natural looking
Depending on your taste and scape it comes in many many many colors to suit your needs

Cons:

Difficult to clean (IMO)
If you have fish that like to dig they may find it hard to move around gravel
It can hold ALOT of poop and debris, you'd be surprised after your gravel vacs how much still remains

That's all I can think of right now. I had gravel and switched to sand and I'm very very happy I did the switch.

Ty for the input...I love the look of the sand n I heard it was easier to keep clean...I'm not surprised at all that the gravel is harder...I did a water change yesterday and I know its not no where as clean as I'd like or should be...when I get my bigger tank I want to add a couple of Cory's to it....what's your thoughts on that? I know they scavage that's why I want them...also do u clean the sand with a gravel vac?

Ty for the input...I love the look of the sand n I heard it was easier to keep clean...I'm not surprised at all that the gravel is harder...I did a water change yesterday and I know its not no where as clean as I'd like or should be...when I get my bigger tank I want to add a couple of Cory's to it....what's your thoughts on that? I know they scavage that's why I want them...also do u clean the sand with a gravel vac?

I run the hose about an inch above the sand and it picks up all the poop just fine. Cory's would appreciate the sand

OK tysvm...u have been so helpful and I truly appreciate it..I am really thinking sand. Pleco and Cory's get along right?

I switched to sand in my 29 g and really like it better. I bought this electric gravel vac on Dr.Fosters and Smiths website and really like it. It has a little bag you can attach to catch the crude. It picks up a little sand. I just clean the bag out in a bucket, rinse the sand that was picked up, and put it back in the tank. Works fine. I found it cheaper on aquariumguys and amazon though. Wish I had checked there first. It can also be used for a water siphon.

I found that sand works better for plants than gravel.

OK ty I'll have to check that out...I think I'm gonna go to sand when I get my 29g just cuz I think it would be easier but I like the look as well...so much more natural

Lol yes it does...I did my first water change this week and the gravel is nowhere as clean as I'd like it

I switched to sand in my 29 g and really like it better. I bought this electric gravel vac on Dr.Fosters and Smiths website and really like it. It has a little bag you can attach to catch the crude. It picks up a little sand. I just clean the bag out in a bucket, rinse the sand that was picked up, and put it back in the tank. Works fine. I found it cheaper on aquariumguys and amazon though. Wish I had checked there first. It can also be used for a water siphon.

I found that sand works better for plants than gravel.

Is it the 11& one? I'm gonna order it this weekend and the tubing as well

Here is the one I ordered. I gave $15 for it. They have lowered the price.

Mr. Cleaner

The one I found on aquariumguys.com and amazon was Tom's brand. I see that aquarium guys has added a few more.

The first one has some quality issues but does work. I plan on ordering another one and using the old one for my QT tank so I don't have to constantly sterilize it.

Worst is fish that move substrate around and the sand makes the debris upset and causes it to float around you tank

Here is the one I ordered. I gave $15 for it. They have lowered the price.

Mr. Cleaner

The one I found on aquariumguys.com and amazon was Tom's brand. I see that aquarium guys has added a few more.

The first one has some quality issues but does work. I plan on ordering another one and using the old one for my QT tank so I don't have to constantly sterilize it.

Yea the Mr cleaner is the one I was gonna get..should I still get this one? Or would you suggest another brand? I don't have a lot of money at all...I have a 29g tank so i hope it will work..I measured and its right at 16" deep lol

I have a 29 gallon. The only problem I have had with it is the suction tube that is supposed to slide in and out to adjust length stuck together. That sucker would not come apart after the first use. Then the piece of plastic that the suction tube sticks into broke. I glued that part back together and reinforced it with tape. I then bought water tubing from the hardware store and used it instead of the hard plastic tube that came with it. The on and off button stuck too. I have to unscrew the battery cap to turn it off and on. I think my problem was that I didn't take it apart and rinse and dry the parts after using it. I am going to try another brand. If you are not interested in having to do repairs to it then you might want to try another brand. Like I said, I think I had trouble with it because I didn't rinse it with clean water and dry it after using it. Maybe the dirty tank water degraded the plastic? For the price though I couldn't complain. They are all basically the same. Check on Amazon and you might be able to find a cheaper model. I would rather have it than not have it.

OK great ty..I'll check amazon and aqauriumguys both..never ordered from aq before..they reliable?

I have placed a couple of orders with them and they have been great. They are much cheaper than drfostersandsmith.com.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom