Great $8.00 tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought one of these last week. I used it tonight to trim the plants in my tank and I love it! You can look through the tank and see what you are doing without sticking your hand in the tank. It's built like it cost $8.00 but hey, it does. With the grabber tip or the scissors tip I use it for trimming plants, placing wafers or just about anything.

you think it will break easily or it will stand a few months of use? how long is it build to last?

It's cheap no doubt. I think it is definitely made to work with plants. As long as you treat it as such I think it may last for a while. The only metal part is the blades that are set into the the plastic head for cutting plants. Time will tell.

Do they cut pretty good, with little force? Looks like they would be hard to hold onto.

I have been using that exact tool for about a year and a half now. Bought it at PetsMart. It was the cheapest one they had so I figured it would be good for a few months. Now 18 months later it still works flawlessly. The claw end makes it easy to plant. The scissor end works great and is not difficult to cut in the slightest. I love that it keeps my hands out of the tank. If one of the fish dies I use it to pull them out also. Excellent tool. It's not hard to hold onto at all.

Fishyfanatic said:
The claw end makes it easy to plant. The scissor end works great and is not difficult to cut in the slightest. I love that it keeps my hands out of the tank. If one of the fish dies I use it to pull them out also. Excellent tool. It's not hard to hold onto at all.

Totally agree. Definitely worth the money. Especially useful if you have a tall tank...

They have those at the Pets Unlimited here. But they cost $22 :evil: Looks like a useful tool and I wouldn't mind having one, but I don't think it's worth $22. $8-$10 sounds about right. Sigh :(

Bought the same and have to disagree. I have some very large amazon swords and the blades won't cut through the thick stems. It's okay on the smaller ones. The length of the tool is great for my extra high tank of 24" when using the other attachment.

SeanMurphy said:
Being elbows deep in my tank is one of my guilty pleasures. I think I'll stick to the old fashioned way :)
im guilty of this as well, I love to have my hand in the tank working!

You can call it "cheap" or whatever, but my husband bought one of them five years ago for our old planted tank. I still have it. It banged around for years as we moved from place to place. It's still in great condition - although I don't have any live plants to trim.

Just be careful with curious fish. My barbs love to check out anything that goes in the tank and doesn't scare them. I would hate to nip a fin or worse! But these definitely look cool for planting!

Back
Top Bottom