great southern CA fish store...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm headed down the 101, in California, south of Santa Barbara. Any suggestions on a cool fish store, large enough that it stocks an assortment of large decor? Preferably Texas holey rock or something similar.

The closer the better:)

Well if your near clairmont, theres a store called jans tropical fish, and it is very good. HUGE selection of sw fish and at a very good price.

Thanks a lot! Funny...I thought you were dislexic because its in Montclair but Montclair is right next to Claremont:)

I'll check it if I get that far. I don't have a salt water tank but it couldn't hurt to check it out, if I'm passing through.

Oh ya i thought you ment sw but they have a pretty good fw selection as well! Haha i went up there for a tennis tourniment and found that store, it was awesome!

Didn't make it:)

I ended up at Tats in Ventura...nice shop, good assortment of cichlids, but all they had was lace rock.

I'm sick of people selling their rock at a flat, per/lb rate. It's not like the mineral composition of lace rock is worth 2.99/lb. Haha. I just think its rude to price your lace rubble at the same rate as a large attractive piece. Or even to sell your large, less attractive, pieces at the same rate as your great pieces.

Anyway, the rant means that I've decided to go DIY. Everything that I KIND OF like cost an "arm and a leg"
And stuff that I REALLY like is completely out of my price range. Same old story I guess:)

Look outside of this forum. I have been on other sites that always have some crusty old guy that has been cultivating and selling for himself for years. I once saw a guy selling Texas holey rock for 1.25 lb.

Malawi Freak said:
Look outside of this forum. I have been on other sites that always have some crusty old guy that has been cultivating and selling for himself for years. I once saw a guy selling Texas holey rock for 1.25 lb.

Too late lol. DIY time.

I also recommend what I did. Take the family out for a hike and picnic at a nearby stream or shallow river. Of course everyone has to earn their lunch by carrying rocks back.

Malawi Freak said:
I also recommend what I did. Take the family out for a hike and picnic at a nearby stream or shallow river. Of course everyone has to earn their lunch by carrying rocks back.

Good idea:) I'm so sick of heavy rockwork though. I figure sculpt one or two pieces that provide every tunnel and hole the need. Cleaning will be a breeze and your tank will way 30% less.

Back
Top Bottom