green cyno?? wont go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok....i have done about 3 - 4 water changes...somewhat to get my sal down the correct level and also to suck up and get rid of this green cyno
it keeps coming back....like a bad headache LOL
i have about 50 Nassarius Obsoleta coming cause the last batch seemed to have been eating by some hitchhiker crabs
i have gotten rid of (quarantined in the sump) the crabs...i never had this green algea until to disappeared
will they get rid of it or should i look at other problems
just so you know....i top off and waterchanges with my fairly new RO/DI system (not entirely sure how pure it is though) tested with the TDS meter that was sent (not sure if thats the correct term for that meter....but its gets a .004 reading
my water pressure is really low so im goin to research that too
what about lightin and waer temps?
any other thoughts....dont want to use additives on this

Hummm, it looks like the green varity... but it does not look that bad. It might be a flow issue if it is only on the sand.

When was the last time you changed out your bulbs? You seem to have a pretty healthy tank and you are very exerienced, thus that would be the direction I would go in first.

Have you thought about getting a sand sifting gobie? If it is only on the sand, this could control it... unless it is the lights. I honestly would be willing to bet that, since you didnt start having this problem until your snails became a snack for the crab, that it is a flow issue.

check for phosphates in your top off water and the tank. If you have any detectable level that is part of the problem. Low flow can also help it take hold. How old are your bulbs..
Test the water and let us know the readings. If you get 0 that does not mean that its not there it just means that the cyno is feeding off it enough to keep the levels low.
I have tried many many snails and I have found none that will eat cyno and buying a fish is not the answer either, find whats feeding the problem and correct that.

all good info....yeah..i heard in fla that phosphate is an issue
i need to get a tester for that
i installed the lights in july...i believe....maybe lune...but they are not that old...how long does VHO lights last?
I would think at least 6mths...if not then poop....im goin to get something else and ebay them lol
what about temp? i have had to put my extra fan on the tank to keep the temp from goin over 81...
i also think the true start of the issue was the lack of the Protein skimmer...the PS pump was clogged up for who knows how long...maybe a 2-3 wks

once in the evening...i figured if anything its not enough
i have thought that too but i dont want o cut back then my lil guys will go hungry
i do a pinch and if they finish thatanother lil one

They will not go hungry. Been feeding mine every other day for eight years with no algea problems for several years. Ouch, that hurts when I knock on my head.

Back
Top Bottom