Green Dragon BN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
The newest addition to our family, 2 Green Dragon BN Pleco.
We had a Common Pleco but he was of course getting to large for a 55g tank. So we gave him back to out not so LFS and got these little guys instead.
They finally held still long enough for me to get 1 photo of each.

I have a question about BN Plecos in general, for anyone that may know.
It is true that the way you can tell a male BN from a female BN, is that the female BN has a smooth face? While the male BN are the only ones that have the whiskers? Or is that just another fish story?
The GDBN Pleco in the first photo has a the beginnings of whiskers.
But the GDBN Pleco in the second photo has a perfectly smooth face.
Which is why I asked about the differences between male and female BN.

Attachments

• One of our new Green Dragon BN Pleco.JPG
    One of our new Green Dragon BN Pleco.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 232
We really like these little guys. They are unusually outgoing for a BN.
For now they are eating NLS Grow food like there is no tomorrow. For now they both appear to be very healthy and strong.

Those look great, I really like the green ones and would like to get some one day. BN plecos are hard to sex until they mature, females can have whiskers but the males are much more pronounced, the only way I can tell for sure on mine is when the males start growing branches on their whiskers. Some males are late bloomers so they may not all be growing bristles at the same time even if they are the same age.

Wow I love the colour! They would blend in so nicely though in my 40gallon due green substrate! Hahah :) and to sex them u need to wait till maturity! And female will have whiskers only on their chins while male will have whiskers on his head too! :) nice looking fish!!! First Ur fry, now these guys! Awesome!

Thank you all for the kind words. I was really lucky to find these 2 Green Dragon BN. I asked my not so LFS guy for a small Pleco but something different from the usual BN.
Just about everything that was smaller was also really expensive. But he had gotten a batch of these Green Dragons really cheap so he passed the savings on to us. I got the last 2 for $8.99 each.
They seem fairly hardy for being so small (KNOCK ON WOOD).

WendiDell said:
Thank you all for the kind words. I was really lucky to find these 2 Green Dragon BN. I asked my not so LFS guy for a small Pleco but something different from the usual BN.
Just about everything that was smaller was also really expensive. But he had gotten a batch of these Green Dragons really cheap so he passed the savings on to us. I got the last 2 for $8.99 each.
They seem fairly hardy for being so small (KNOCK ON WOOD).

O wow 8.99 each is cheap! Haha nice catch! Good luck with everything! U never know, soon u may end up with baby BN place :D

O wow 8.99 each is cheap! Haha nice catch! Good luck with everything! U never know, soon u may end up with baby BN place :D

I would love to breed these little guys, but from what I've heard it's not very easy to breed any BN Plecos.

Trust me the pictures don't do them justice. They are much cuter in real life than in the pictures.
Even as small as they are, they both sit on the wood next to where I leave their food, when they get hungry, no fear.

WendiDell said:
I would love to breed these little guys, but from what I've heard it's not very easy to breed any BN Plecos.

Trust me the pictures don't do them justice. They are much cuter in real life than in the pictures.
Even as small as they are, they both sit on the wood next to where I leave their food, when they get hungry, no fear.

Haha Aww they sound adorable!

From what I've read online. BN are easy to breed. U just need to provide a cave or something similar.

Haha Aww they sound adorable!

From what I've read online. BN are easy to breed. U just need to provide a cave or something similar.

They really are adorable. I have to admit I bought them because my grandson has a thing for Dragons (alright, I do too!) but it turned out they are really cool and I wish I had room for more of them.
If all they need is a cave like place to breed, that's easy. They will be in my Mbuna tank ,once they get bigger. My Mbuna tank has 14-15 cave like dwellings. I'm sure they could find one that they like.
If I end up with Green Dragon Babies, you all will be the first to know.

WendiDell said:
They really are adorable. I have to admit I bought them because my grandson has a thing for Dragons (alright, I do too!) but it turned out they are really cool and I wish I had room for more of them.
If all they need is a cave like place to breed, that's easy. They will be in my Mbuna tank ,once they get bigger. My Mbuna tank has 14-15 cave like dwellings. I'm sure they could find one that they like.
If I end up with Green Dragon Babies, you all will be the first to know.

Oo sweet! ITS A DATE! :)

BNs are not hard to breed, based on how many people I know that are breeding them. I haven't done it yet, but so many people around here are breeding them (golden spot, yellow, albino, and calico) that juveniles can be picked up very cheaply.

Ya, BN are tough to breed, that's why I have hundreds of the buggers all over my tanks. Last night I spent about an hour netting out tiny brown BN fry and moving them into the 55 for the cichlids to snack on. I only keep/raise the calico and albino fry from the brown breeders now, it's simply not worth the time and resources to raise brown fry.
The super reds are just as tough, I have a couple hundred of those growing out too...
This was one brood from a pair of browns. Old pics, some of these fry are now breeding stock, while the original trio of browns was moved along quite some time ago:
img_1400702_0_75015ab4701e6809f0a29d86e44f358f.jpg

Here's the rest of the brood, about 1/3 were albino:
img_1400702_1_228ed0a4168f6ee3502d99135f679015.jpg

You should really get some super reds to go with the green dragons, they'd be a very festive combo... :brows::
img_1400702_2_11732cad573fc5836df1bbf8740b58c3.jpg

dollabill420 said:
I love em at first sight lol, what's BN stand for? See it used all the time

Bristle nose :) and those babies are adorable!

dollabill420 said:
I dunno why I didn't clue in to that thank you very much, and to the other person who answered my question

Haha...ill give the credit to the first person...I didn't see that they answered first :) but I totally have to suggest a BN they are great!

Back
Top Bottom