Green freshwater puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine do the same hunting routine. They will spy one on the glass and rush up, get into position, no maybe angle a little this way, no maybe turn my head that way a little, maybe come at him from this angle, no maybe from below....and eventually they take a bite! It is very entertaining, in a gruesome kind of way. They rarely seem to actually crunch up the snail shell unless I smoosh it for them, but then the tiger barbs get it first. They seem more to suck the snail out of the shell, because I will find tiny empty shells all over the bottom when I clean.

As per puffergirl's message. "Amazon Puffers" and "Brazilian FW Puffers," and "Peruvian Puffers" AND "South American Puffers" are ALL the same species (amazing isn't it!?!?), Colomesus asellus. If you do further research, Gregg, I think you'll find that most of the FW puffers have 2-8 names, as they do on http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/index.htm I think the Dwarf Puffer wins in this category!

Though individual puffers of the same species can differ in temperament, it's probably best to think scientifically about the differing accounts that pop up. In MOST cases, puffers will be more peaceful in a large tank with conspecifics (members of their own species). In small tanks where they feel cramped, and alone, and indeed territorial, they will turn their aggression on other species. If they are in a pack, they are likely to be less territorial, more comfortable and more amenable. In this instance, and in a large enough tank, you can mix them with other hardy, fast fish such as Tiger Barbs.

So, if anyone tells you a puffer species is peaceful, take this with a spoonfull of salt. No puffer is peaceful unless it feels comfortable, and even the most aggressive species--such as the Green Spotted Puffers--can be pleasant enough if given plenty of room and some conspecific friends. :D

P.S. William, thanks for being a good sport! A lot of ppl just get mad when you correct them.

Its awesome if your puffers are eating snails.. I had the most chilled out puffers ever.... they didn't like to do anything... and there was only two in a 29G tank! But I was hoping they would prey on the snails, and the ghost shrimp because I wanted to make sure their teeth were being grounded down. The only thing they ate were the freeze dried shrimp and nothing else... da bums! :p

What kind of snails are you feeding it?
If that is directed at me, I am feeding them nerite snails and mystery snails (babies). They are not MTS or ramshorn, which may have shells too hard for them to crunch. These snails have paper-thin shells when they are tiny.

Back
Top Bottom