Green grass growing....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gefilte

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, it appears that I am growing some lawn on my rocks. My tank is monitored and serviced by my local LFS. When I (actually my wife) asked him about it this week, he said it was green coraline algae and its supposed to be there. My tank has been up for about 4-5 years and this doesn't seem right to me. I have much beautiful pink/purple coraline algae, but had not heard of this green stuff. The green seems to be overgrowing the pink/purple as well. He showed my wife that it was growing on the rocks and could not just pull off. I know, I know. You can't tell without pictures. I didn't get a chance to take any and just thought about posting this while I was at work. Any thoughts on this?

It doesn't look like hair. But, i thought it was bad. So why is he telling me that it is good??? I'll try to post pictures later but it looks like short bushy grass.

It could be some other kind of micro algae, a pic would help. If they are monitoring your tank, are they checking for phosphates?

Levels are as follows:
Nitrate 15
pH 8.1
Alk 290
Phosphate 0.25
Calcium 420

And here is what it looks like.....

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Thoughts?

I still say it`s hair algea. It will get longer as time progresses. Any amount of phosphates is a fuel source. The way I got rid of mine was to rubberband a toothbrush on the end of my siphon hose and scrub the algea off the rock and siphon it off during a PWC. After doing this a few times and working on those phosphates you`ll start to see a difference. JMO

Time to get a new place to service your aquarium it they think that's coralline algae! Holy smoke!

0.25ppm phosphates are huge. Think that's your main problem. But if you have a contract with them, you're probably at their mercy unless you buy out the remainder of your contract.

Back
Top Bottom