Green Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightryder1405

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some green hair algae that currently started growing on my LR. Im pretty sure its due to my lights being 8-9 months old. So im going to change the bulb asap, but in the mean time has anyone had any luck with a tang that eats this? Thanks in advance.

nightryder1405 said:
I have some green hair algae that currently started growing on my LR. Im pretty sure its due to my lights being 8-9 months old. So im going to change the bulb asap, but in the mean time has anyone had any luck with a tang that eats this? Thanks in advance.

In the past when I had a larger tank I had a similar issue and I didn't have luck with my tang however I've heard they can. What I've read that most have had success with is the Foxface. I've had one before but not when I had an algae issue. Hmmm...but if they eat it then I guess I didn't know I had one!

nightryder1405 said:
What kind of tang did you have?

I've had a blue regal, powder brown, powder blue, and a yellow tang (not all in the same tank at once of course). They are one of my fav fish. They are very active and I like that! You just have to make sure and QT them and anything going in because they are very susceptible to parasites. Also, I would buy one locally rather than Internet so you can see what you get and watch them eat.

This is easy to remove manually. Hair algae comes from phosphate issues, maybe overfeeding but are you using RO/DI water? Many tanks gett his issue from the unknowns that come out of your tap water. I don't even want to know everything that my RO/DI unit is removing from my water.

Well the old foxface trick didn't work for me. I have a brownish algae in my tank on the LR so I purchased one, dude ate it for like a day sonn as I put him in the tank. Now he is just waiting for mysis shrimp. PECKER!!! But he is a pretty cool fish.

This is easy to remove manually. Hair algae comes from phosphate issues, maybe overfeeding but are you using RO/DI water? Many tanks gett his issue from the unknowns that come out of your tap water. I don't even want to know everything that my RO/DI unit is removing from my water.

I feed every other day alternating between flakes, frozen mysis, and cyclopeeze. I purchase RO/DI water from my LFS. At the moment i am only using a single 50/50 flouresant bulb. I am currently only running an emperor 400 using carbon media for filtration. Ive been doing water changes every other week. I know a skimmer would help but as of right now funds are a lil low. The bulb is about 8 months old so im 80 % sure that its the problem.

2 true clowns, 2 reef chromis, scooter blenny, diamond goby, purple firefish, brittle star, cleaner shrimp, 1 candylactus anemone, 1 BTA. I also have a yellow tang that is comming out tomorrow for QT since he hasnt eaten in a wk. Had him for 4 months and all of a sudden stopped eating all together and he is the last thing added.

I been changing the filter and the water every other week because my nitrates seem to always slide towards 40ppm according to the easy strips. I usually change 15 gallons but today i did a 18 gallon water change.

I know i need the skimmer asap to keep the nitrates down.

nightryder1405 said:
I been changing the filter and the water every other week because my nitrates seem to always slide towards 40ppm according to the easy strips. I usually change 15 gallons but today i did a 18 gallon water change.

I know i need the skimmer asap to keep the nitrates down.[/

In order for Green algae to grow it has to have a few things present: light, nitrate, phosphate and carbon dioxide.

Green Hair Algae can be caused by excess Dissolved Organic Carbons or DOC’s in the water, poor filtration, or using tap water or well water to top off with. If it were me, I would make sure to use RO/DI water for water changes as well as top off, cut back feeding if you haven't already, be sure to blow off rocks and top of sand before water changes so you can get all the waste you can out, and make sure your bulbs are good as well as maybe cut back on light some until you can get rid of it. You may want to think about buying something to absorb the phosphates and nitrates and put it in your filter. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't eliminate the source of the problem however it may help it keep from getting out of control for now.

I been using RO water for water changes, not sure if u read the earlier posts but i been feeding every other day alternating between flakes mysis and cyclopeeze. I usually dont blow off the rocks or sand. I fig my diamond goby pretty much takes care of the sand since he rearranges it daily. As for filtration i have the emperor 400 so i can run carbon. Im workin on getting a new light. I picked up 2 more big turbo snails and they seem to have helped but there is one patch they didnt touch yet.

nightryder1405 said:
I been using RO water for water changes, not sure if u read the earlier posts but i been feeding every other day alternating between flakes mysis and cyclopeeze. I usually dont blow off the rocks or sand. I fig my diamond goby pretty much takes care of the sand since he rearranges it daily. As for filtration i have the emperor 400 so i can run carbon. Im workin on getting a new light. I picked up 2 more big turbo snails and they seem to have helped but there is one patch they didnt touch yet.

It sounds like you are doing things right. As long as you keep your nitrates and phosphates down you should be able to get rid of it. It takes a little time but it will go away!

first of all I would recommend a real test kit but thats me:D
I don't trust stupid strips
cut back your feedings to every other day
rinse frozen food since it full of phosphates 1/2 cube is plenty

25% water change weekly till tank clears up

than you can go back to your bi weekly water changes

I do use half a cube, usually i let it defrost in a cup of the tank water and then just poor it into the tank. Thank you for all the advice.

Let it defrost then rinse it in RODI. The frozen water is full of phosphates. Stick it a fine mesh net and rinse it with the RODI.

Back
Top Bottom