Green Sea Serpant losing his legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skotman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK, To give everyone a quick run down, I had some tank issues with the tank this guy was in, I moved all of the fish/inverts/crabs etc out of the tank and into a newly set up tank that apears to be doing fine. It's only a 20 long with a clown fish, cleaner shrimp, a vew hermit crabs and a snail and the sea star. On the sea star, his legs are starting to fall off. I know it can't be anything eating them since I see them still in the tank. He's not reproducing I dont think, I hope he is for my sake. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Scott

I have heard that they grow back.I have also heard that if you were to cut them in halg,they will grow back and become two stars.Go figure

Star fish will lose their legs when they are extemely stressed, usually by poor water conditions. Like you said, you had some tank issues. Remove the dropped legs and discard. Your star will grow new ones if kept under excellent conditions.

I have heard, and actually witnessed, that serpent stars are especially sensitive when it comes to acclimating to new conditions. Most fish and inverts. can tolerate surprisingly wide variation in salinity (though not to variations in pH and/or temp.) when being transferred to new environment. Serpent stars on the other hand, if not slowly acclimated to varying salinity, will lose their legs.

Back
Top Bottom