Green Sunfish and plecko help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rimshotnhavoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small green sunfish and a crayfish in a small tank 10 gal( I am getting ready to upgrade). Is it a good ideal to put a plecko in there to help with waste? I have a gold fish tank with a larger plecko in it already ( to big for the green to eat) would putting that fish in with the green be a good idea? any advice on the green sunfish would be great. The fish is thriving for being wild caught.

Biggest misconception in this hobby... plecos will in fact make the tank dirtier, they produce an astronomical amount of waste. While some will clean algae off the glass, most wont, most will just eat, poop, sleep, poop some more, eat a little and poop alot..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The bigger issue is that the green sunfish will outgrow a 10g in short order. They get large so plan on upgrading tanks soon. A 55 would be an ideal tank size for one.

As far as plecos go, a pleco can work in a native tank. This is evidenced by the masses of plecos found in the wild in texas and south Florida. That said, common plecos get far too large for most tanks, easily reaching a foot in a year or two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom